Is my macbook pro normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by edwardjulio, Mar 7, 2015.

1. edwardjulio macrumors newbie

I was playing a game in high resolution on my macbook retina 13, mid 2014(2.8 Core i5 (I5-4308U), i can see on temp gauge that my cpu went to 100 degree celsius(212 degree fahrenheit), and also my PECI GPU went to 100 degree celsius.
    1. is this normal?
    2. if I continue to play that games on my mac, will I damage my mac?

I understand that on intel website, tj junction of intel Core i5 (I5-4308U) is 100 degree celsius, so

3. What tj junction means?
    4. Does tj junction also apply on GPU?

attached the maximum temperature recorded on my temp gauge.
    please share your thought.

Attached Files:

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

Yes.

3. shoehornhands macrumors regular

Yeah, that sounds about right. The mobile Intel chips can get up around 100 °C and then the clock will start throttling down (i.e. you might see your framerate drop off when the processor throttles but it shouldn't damage the computer).

It can however, shorten the lifespan of the computer (as heat tends to do with all computer components). If you use the computer a lot for gaming you might want to look into getting some sort of cooling pad for it. It's also not a bad idea to limit the max framerate (there's usually a way to do this in most games). Depending on the game, this can often times significantly reduce the stress on a computer without any noticeable loss in playability.