Is my Macbook Pro screwed or shall I keep fighting?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lukeey93, Jan 9, 2015.

1. lukeey93 macrumors newbie

So a couple of weeks ago, I spilt a JD & Coke over my Macbook Pro 13 inch 2.3 dual core (Early 2011) and it turned off almost as soon as this happened.

I immediately allowed this to try and did my best to remove any moisture and also cleaned the logic board with isopropyl alcohol and water.

The battery light still shows power but it just won't turn on.

Is the logic board entirely screwed or is there something I can try?

Thanks in advance

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well it seems that way

You can keep cleaning, try and find any corrosion and get rid of it, the acid in that coke could have done some damage over 2 weeks. Then it would be down to testing each component and replacing any that have shorted out.

In short it has likely had it.

3. lukeey93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for this, Samuel. I think I might just invest in a new shiny MBP.

Time to become part of the Retina generation ;)

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You won't regret it

I moved from a 2010 to a 2013 rMBP and it is awesome I must say, light slim very quick and that screen is superb....

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

That is one heck of a computer hangover. As previously stated, it would be more practical to replace the hungover computer, versus trying to repair, which could be expensive and ongoing.

6. kgvickers macrumors newbie

I'm interested in buying the hungover MBP if you decide to sell it.

7. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Replacing the motherboard would be safest. Not sure what the 2011 duo costs , but I got a 2009 core2 duo board practically new for $45. Yours prolly in the couple of hundreds? depends on what you are willing to spend- fix vs buy new. At least you have the option to fix yours yourself.

PS; If I were to wash a board I would practically submerge it and brush in very hot water, then blow dry it and let it hang for a number of days until certain it is dry, then blow dry it again, before firing it up..

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say its dead, perhaps you didn't wait long enough to let it dry, or perhaps the liquid damage was quick to short something out, but in all likelihood, the logic board is toast.

Check ebay, perhaps you can find a deal on one.