Is my mba 2013 drawning power???

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by houssein31, Nov 7, 2013.

1. houssein31 macrumors regular

So I bought my macbook air this summer (2013 version with the huge battery) but lately I haven't been using my mac this much, maybe 15-20 minutes a day doing web browsing, email, and I think the battery is drowning because I charged my mac on monday (100%) I used it 20 minutes a day for tuesday, wednesday and today (thurrsday).. And now my battery is at 30%... It seems like its loosing so much power while its asleep, even though I turn off all apps and bluetooth (sometimes forget my wifi on, but rare). So is that normal that I'm losing about 20% while my mac is sleeping?

Thanks In advance!!!

PS: it a 8gb ram, 256gb (if it makes any difference)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's normal for your Mac to consume about 1% of battery power for every hour of sleep. It's also possible that your Mac hasn't remained in sleep mode the entire time. For sleep issues, you may find some useful ideas here:

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Your machine should last 30 days asleep in standby mode. Even with that intermittent usage you described, you should be getting far more battery life than what you are seeing when asleep. There are some things like attached SD cards that can prevent your machine from entering standby mode, and that will lower battery life when asleep. Give this a look and see if any of the items on the list apply to you.

That is old information. The new Air can go into standby mode and last up to 30 days on battery power.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is still current information. The energy consumption in sleep mode is about 1% per hour of sleep. Standby mode is different, with a different energy consumption rate.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is not what you said.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read again:
    I said nothing about standby mode, which is something different. It is evident from the OP's post that their MBA is not entering standby mode, or their battery consumption would be significantly less.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Exactly, you did not explain what standby mode is and left the OP thinking it is normal for the battery to drain 1% an hour when he sleeps his computer, and as you know it is not. His machine should enter stand by after three hours and then last up to 30 days. All of your links even talk about what would make the Mac come out of sleep mode and run down the battery. Nothing at all about stand by.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's because the OP's Mac is obviously not entering standby mode. No need to discuss it if it doesn't apply to the OP's situation. The scenarios in the posted links can prevent either sleep or standby mode, so they all apply. Enough, already!

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Okay, I'll stop. I know how upset you get when you are mistaken.