Is my MBA a US model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by TWHH, Oct 25, 2011.

1. TWHH macrumors regular

Hi there,

My employer has started to roll out Macs. The programme is still being trailed and I applied to be part of that trial (as I am a life long MAc lover and WinDoze non-lover)

So I ordered one of the Macs we could choose from - I went for the 'standard' i5 13" Air. It was taking forever to come, so after I chased our procurement department they finally came up with the goods. Or so I thought.

Once I'd picked it up I realised that it was in fact a 'Late 2010' model - Core duo, no i5 or Thunderbolt.

I've also realised that it has no £ key, only a $!

So.. have I got a 'grey import'? Is there any way of looking up the serial number to see if it is indeed a non UK model?

Personally I think our procurement department have been totally done over by whoever they source our Macs through. If I can prove the grey import I might be able to get them to re-supply a current UK model.:cool:

Either way I know I'm still far better off with a Mac at work. Have to say though... Office 2011 (especially Outlook) really isn't as good as the PC version. Hmm, wonder why MDST have 'downgraded' the Mac version:rolleyes:

2. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Here's the US keyboard layout. The UK one has a different shaped return/enter button as well as a differently placed @ symbol, if memory serves correct. These changes in addition to the difference in $ symbols.

3. TWHH thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply.

Yes indeed, that's the keyboard I've got.

Anyone got any ideas on if reselling US imports is good and proper? Can't imagine the company I work for (a major UK/European tech based firm that itself resells consumer electronics goods) would want to be seen to be condoning it.

Mind you, it never stopped Tescos!

Thanks

4. raftr macrumors regular

Unlike a lof of companies', Apple warranty is global. No worries here. I have UK keyboard, don't like the "inverted L" return key and, in an ideal world we'd meet to swap the laptops.

5. tmoerel macrumors 6502

It does not have to be a grey import. Apple can sell you a mac with a US keyboard in any country. I recently got a mba with a US keyboard in Switzerland. Just specify you want it when ordering.

Perhaps your company ordered US keyboards?

6. molala macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.1.15738/26.1023; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/10.54)

You can specify a US keyboard in the UK Apple store. And if they didn't buy from Apple, it could also be an import from within EU.

7. molala macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.1.15738/26.1023; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/10.54)

Not sure if this still holds true, but years ago US wifi cards could only see up to channel 11 as a regulatory restriction. So you can test if this is a US laptop by fiddling channels on your wifi network.

8. TWHH thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for this info.

Where do I find the wi-fi channel options in Lion? I've had a look in the wi-fi section of the Network Sys Prefs, but can't seem to see it.

Thanks

9. molala macrumors 6502a

You'll have to do it through your wireless router settings (whichever brand/make it is). You can usually select which channel it broadcasts in.