Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t0rr3s

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
Should I be looking for a new MBA then, guys? Restarting doesn't seem to have resolved the issue. Now, even my cursor has developed white lines across itself. These lines appear from time to time but has returned with a vengeance recently.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-15%20at%2011.14.56%20AM.png

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
To isolate software and hardware problems, I always use an external USB disk. Since bare bones OS X fits comfortably into a 32 Gb drive, get yourself an external USB drive, which could be a standard HDD in an enclosure, a USB flash disk or ideally a USB 3 SSD disk. Install Mavericks, Yosemite or El Capitan into this drive but do not sign into iCloud during or after the installation to keep it totally isolated.

Then, boot from this external disk and see if you still experience the same problem. This way your original drive with all your files and settings remains untouched until you correctly diagnose the problem.

When you boot from this virgin and "Gandhi" version of OS X and the problem is still there, then it is hardware related and you can take it to Apple to get it fixed. If the problem does not show, however, then your best bet is to re install OS X.

Reactions: t0rr3s

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
It's 100 % a software issue. In that screenshot, only Word is affected. Is that typical or does it happen across all applications and even on the desktop itself?

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
I believe the software has an issue, if the graphics card was failing, the lines would be visible from the screen but not digitally.

t0rr3s

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
I think you guys are spot on. This only seems to happen in Office applications (all updated to latest version 15.18). I have repaired permissions, restarted (again) and today the problem has not surfaced. Fingers crossed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.