Is my MBA battery behavior normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jim468, Aug 15, 2011.

1. jim468 macrumors regular

I recently got my 13" MBA 1.7/4/256GB model and I am not sure if its battery is behaving normally or not? My MBA battery discharges quite a bit when the laptop is completely turned off.

I was out of town this weekend (4 nights) and before leaving I charged my laptop battery to 100%, turned it off and unplugged the magsafe power cable.

However, when I returned back today and turned on my laptop, the battery was at 91%. It had discharged 9% during this period, even without the laptop being used.

Is this the normal battery behavior of an MBA? This is my first Mac so I am not sure.

Any suggestions?

2. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

did you power it off or just close the lid? if you just closed the lid it is normal, if you powered it off, i'm not sure.

3. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

chrck to see if you have bluetooth on...and if so, you probably have it set to wake the computer...which keeps the bluetooth radio on all the time..

i turned it off on mine and now it barely loses any battery over night

4. jim468 thread starter macrumors regular

I powered it off.

----------

Sorry, I just saw your message. I don't use bluetooth and so I turned it off when I got my MBA.

5. jackyyeow macrumors 6502

Can't you guys actually read?:D

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

That does not seem normal. You say you turned it off but apparently something was drawing power. Either that or the battery is just not calibrated yet. Use it a couple of times, draining and recharging it and try your test again.

7. jim468 thread starter macrumors regular

OK. Hope the battery is not bad. I don't want to return/exchange my MBA... : /

8. macmba macrumors member

First, and anyone can correct if am wrong, the MBAs come already calibrated from factory. Second, if the PC is completely off, it should never loose 9% of its battery over a couple of days.

I would get it replaced, or at least have it checked.

9. jim468, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

jim468 thread starter macrumors regular

You are right about calibration. I will spend a few more days with my laptop and then call Apple customercare just to ask if it's normal or not? But I agree that this does not seem normal (being a new laptop). Thanks.

BTW, now my MBA at full charge only shows 98% : /

I don't plan on returning my laptop because I have so much installed on it already.