Is my MBP Battery faulty??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by al82, Jul 19, 2009.

1. al82 macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I got a new macbook pro 13inch with the up to 7 hours battery life.

I know that they two magic words there are up and to.

I dont expect to get 7 hours battery life but i certainly don't expect to get around 40% of the advertised time, i got 3 hours 10 mins last night with the display light actually set to off for an hour of that while i listened to music.

Also the battery indicator is going a bit crazy. Since i have been typing this message it has shown as low as 3.01 (fully charged battery) and then jumped to 6:11 and now its at 5:49 mins. I tried reseting the SMU but its still doing this. I haven't opened any new applications, was simply typing this message, and now it just went up 1 minute. My old 13 inch macbook (late 2008) rarely ever changed battery time unless you started playing a game.

What kind of battery life have you guys been getting?
    Is your battery indicator all over the place?

Thanks

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

try calibrating it if the indicator is all over the place. usually you shouldnt have to calibrate a new computer but it doenst hurt to try.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The battery time indicator is not to be fully trusted, as it only shows an approximation of time due to your current CPU use.

Have you calibrated the battery yet?

Charge till the battery is full, use the computer on battery until it won't let you anymore, let it sleep unplugged for at least 5 hours, so that the battery is fully drained, then recharge the battery.

It worked with my 17-inch MBP, which only showed 2 to three hours, now I get 6 hours with video playback.

4. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

The 7 hours life is based on surfing the net, putting the screen brightness to half and word processing. Anything more than that and you won't get the 7 hours.

If i were you i would calibrate and then test the MBP with the above conditions and see how much you get.

Also try installing coconut and/istat to check the health of your battery.

5. al82 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the help.

Istat pro says my battery health is at 100% and i have tried to calibrate it.

Im still getting under 3 and a half hours max. The battery on my aluminum macbook doesn't jump all over the place when i use it because all i ever do is use Safari or MS Word, yet on the MBP it jumps up and down by over an hour while simply typing this message.

Also I used it with light half way down and used safari and pages and ms word. No videos on safari just reading news sites, still getting no more than 3 and a half hours battery life at the most.

Is this normal?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Are you using the integrated graphics card (Better Battery Life) or the dedicated graphics (Higher Performance)?

[​IMG]

Also did you have a look at the Activity Monitor and seen what process might use your CPU a bit too much?

[​IMG]
    Don't forget to show All processes.

7. al82 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you a big THANK YOU to the last poster for going through the trouble of posting the pics. As soon as i get back home ill check it out, thank you.

8. Poirot818 macrumors regular

He has the 13" MBP.

I don't really understand your answer. Either you calibrated it or you didn't.

9. al82 thread starter macrumors regular

10. tallpaul macrumors member

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yup. Stupid me. ;)
    Thanks for pointing it out. One shouldn't post here if tired.

12. dead goon macrumors member

i got 5 - 6 on my first day. surfing the web, copying about 40gb over, downloading updates and installing. Quite happy with it.

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Through speakers or headphones? Speakers take up a lot of power.