Is My MBP Casing Warping?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrbrightside623, Jul 20, 2009.

1. mrbrightside623 macrumors regular

Hey All, I currently have a MBP bought 3 weeks before the uMBPs (I think a Mid 08 MBP) came out. I have my MBP in a clear Speck case and now just noticing the top case strip right above the trackpad feels like its a bit warped. My battery seems fine so why would the casing warp? It isn't really noticeable by looking at it but by running my fingers over it I can tell it is uneven. But I read somewhere on this forum that someone had a speck case on their MBP too and battery was bulged but didn't show signs of it due to the case holding it from bulging. My battery is listed as good and 89% with 95 cycles. My warranty is up in September and I was wondering what I should do since the warp isn't really noticeable but can be felt.

Thanks In Advanced

-Tony

2. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

3. mrbrightside623 thread starter macrumors regular

I will try to take some pics later and upload here, but as I've said it's very hard to tell but can tell when touching it. I didn't notice this until today because I was just running my fingers over my MBP while I was on the phone with a friend and noticed it felt unleveled.

-Tony

4. mrbrightside623 thread starter macrumors regular

Pictures posted... Hopefully ya'll can see this fine.

http://s877.photobucket.com/albums/ab332/mrbrightside623/

Sorry for so many pics. I didn't know how many ya'll would need so I took multiple pics from a few different angles? Some of the pics will only show up at 59% so you have to click it to expand to full size. These are 10.2MP pics so they are pretty big.

-Tony

5. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

That warping over the cd drive was a common problem.
    you can take it to apple and see what they say...

6. Yell0w macrumors regular

oh wow, after looking at your pics, i took a look at my mac and it has the same thing, but only on the left side. there's like a small gap, but it's not on the right side.

7. mrbrightside623 thread starter macrumors regular

The area that I feel is warping is the opposite side of what you have stated. I believe it to be on the left side just a bit under the space bar area on that little strip of metal.... it feels kind of bumpy and it is a little raised in feeling there.

-Tony

8. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Looks ok to me. Just sorta looks like the gasket is movin a little. Get a square and compare if you want to see if its warped or not.

9. Yell0w macrumors regular

my left side is raised a little but the right side is flush.

10. mrbrightside623 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm unsure what you mean by gasket. Unfortunately I don't have a square ~_~

Thats how I see it for mines. It is perfect on the right side but raised on the left side :(

-Tony

11. Yell0w macrumors regular

i wonder if we're the only two? lol, what can we do about this "problem"?

12. mrbrightside623 thread starter macrumors regular

That's why I posted this thread >_<. It just seems like I'm running into bad luck or a bad case of paranoia lol. But I know I never felt the raising on the left side before today. I baby it so much I feel slight changes lol.
    OCD......
    -Tony

13. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Yours looks exactly like mine. Its pretty normal. Ive seen it on many others. And the lid not being flat-normal, i mean thats how mine is and the way i have seen others

14. mrbrightside623 thread starter macrumors regular

Starting to think the lack of sleep for the past few days is playing tricks on me... but by taking pics I saw myself that the edging is raised on the left compared to the right :/ I guess it is normal ~_~

-Tony

15. RHVC59 macrumors 6502

Warp over DVD drive

I have a similar experience, My 15" MBP's left side is raised over the DVD. I was not sure if it is because I am right handed and carry the machine on that corner when moving from room room to room, or if it is left from when I replaced the hard drive... it is not much, but it is annoying:(

16. mrbrightside623 thread starter macrumors regular

I know what you mean :D It's just annoying knowing it's there. Mines on the left side of the trackpad >_<

-Tony

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

tough to see but I think it is a little. When I had my non-unibody MBP, I noticed some slight warpage myself but thought it was more due to my surgery (replaced the HD). I didn't know it was a common issue.

18. mrbrightside623 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I can actually physically feel minor warping or raising on that area of the top case. I didn't change my HDD but I did change my RAM. As from what I seen... There is no way changing the RAM made the thing raise...

-Tony

19. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

So, it seems the OEM making the unibody casing is making the aluminium a bit too thin; so it warps?

20. mrbrightside623 thread starter macrumors regular

Talking about Pre-Unibodies actually. But I think I heard about the Unibodies having thin aluminum bodies so possible from what you say as well.

-Tony