Is my MBP dead?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Krim911, May 15, 2009.

1. Krim911 macrumors newbie

A few months ago I gave my old MBP to my parents to use as a notebook around the house. I come home this evening and take my old baby won't start. I take out the power cord that will work on my new MBP and try to charge the old one up. It won't take a charge.

My mom told me that it has been shut down for a few weeks with no activity. Could it be the internal battery is just shot? What are the next steps I need to take to fix the thing?

2. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Curve: BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.127 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106)

Take it to an Apple Store, it could be the battery or maybe the power supply port.

3. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

It's on the tip of my tongue.

It sounds like it's in Safe Sleep, the only problem is... I forget how to make it up. Try a few different combinations of unplugging/plugging it in and pressing/holding the power button. You may also try resetting the PRAM and/or PMU. I assume you know how to reset the PRAM, and most of the time to reset the PMU: On the LEFT side of the keyboard, hold down Shift, Control, and Option and press the power button as if turning on (while holding). It's different for some macs, so you may want to google it.

4. Krim911 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I just need to take it to the Apple store. The thing won't even turn on.

5. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

I'm not 100% sure on this, but you should be able to start it with the battery just out and the power cable plugged in. That'd be a way to see if it's the battery anyway.