Is my MBP f'ed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacsAreBetter\, May 14, 2011.

1. MacsAreBetter\ macrumors member

MacsAreBetter\

So, I opened her up the other day, touched the disk drive to let off static, did some replacement business. Only then, I read on the dangers of static electricity in regards to the logic board, and only then did I realize I was sitting on a carpet floor while opening it up.

I know I'm basically screwed, and Apple store has it in their system that I have already opened up my unit. How long does my beauty have to live?! I'm hoping at LEAST 2 years? I only just bought it 2 months ago.

Here's some questions, I'd love you if you answered them:
    1. How much does it cost to repair in case of f'ck-up?
    2. My warranty still isn't void however; does that count for anything?
    (the Apple store guy was nice enough to let me off with a warning)

Maybe somebody can tell me its not that bad to bring me out of my sudden depression?

2. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

as long as you discharged your body on the hard drive its fine. i believe static electricity doesn't slowly kill your logic board it instantly does :p

3. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

Sorry, you lost me.

Do you see any indication of damage? If not, there is no reason to be depressed, unless you plan on doing it again. You are stressing over something that did not occur, right?

I can't answer your question about the cost to repair the system.

R

4. MacsAreBetter\ thread starter macrumors member

MacsAreBetter\

No, it runs all good. The dude at the Apple store was pretty intimidating though, he was all like 'yeah you're now slowly destroying it, blah blah blah'.

So I've got nothing to worry about?
    :D
    <3

5. simsaladimbamba

Nothing to worry about The ASE was only ****ing with you.
    Btw, replacing RAM and HDD are procedures the user can do, it is even described in the User Guides. It will not void the warranty, unless you damage something else besides the RAM and HDD during the replacing.

6. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

If it was messed up, it would likely have never restarted.

7. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Maybe you should go to the Apple store and tell him that he is wrong and he should have knowledge in the subject before mouthing off a customer.

You have absolutely nothing to worry about, static electricity doesn't damage components over time. Once static damage is done its permanent and instant, evidently the Apple guy you talked to wasn't very knowledgable.

8. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Apple guy in the store has no idea. I hope it was not a so called "genius". The ram and HDD are user replaceable, so it's okay to remove the back. If you did not kill the logic board with one zap it's fine. Heck even if you did it's for apple to prove that is the case, from my experience you walk in there the so called genius orders every part that the system tells him could have gone bang and they Just replace it if it's under warranty. Enjoy your machine .

9. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

That right there is a double face palm . I actually look forward to those guys every time I am in an apple store, if I hear them talking such crap to customers and intimidating them I usually jump in and set them straight. It's total BS and intimidates customers.