Is my MBP fn-key locked?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flipdoubt, Jul 5, 2007.

1. flipdoubt macrumors member

Have I inadvertently triggered some kind of "fn-lock" so that the "fn" option is always applied when I press one of the function keys? In FireFox, for instance, I press F5 to refresh the page but, instead, it increases the volume on my MBP. I have to press fn-F5 to refresh the page, but I swear it was the reverse before.

In case you can't tell, I'm a bit new to the Mac.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No, I don't think you're crazy.

There's a system preference that determines whether the fn- versions of the F-keys does the system action (e.g. change brightness, volume) or the application action (e.g. refresh in FF). I'm not at my mac, but I think it's system preferences -> KB & Mouse -> Keyboard and then you should see it there.

EDIT: I googled this image... should be something like the button at the bottom of this window:

[​IMG]

I think you want it *checked*.

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

This is the default.

Go to System Preferences and, I think, Keyboard & Mouse. I changed mine straight away, it was driving me crazy :D

4. flipdoubt thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help guys. Now the keyboard makes more sense. The strange thing is I thought it behaved "the right way" at some point, but I guess I am wrong.

Thanks again.