Is my MBP haunted ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fingleburt, Aug 20, 2011.

1. fingleburt macrumors member

Not long had my mbp 13" base and it's a bit of a learning curve for me coming from a windows enviroment. Anyways, I shutdown my MBP last night, this morning I glance over at it and the magsafe light is amber, then 5mins later changes back to green. Start up the MBP and adobe says there are updates for Photoshop/Dreamweaver etc and that it found these updates 13mins ago.....when my machine was switched off! :eek:

Do I need to call in the Ghostbusters ? :D, or is this normal behaviour ?

TIA

Fingle.

2. sn macrumors 6502

YES. ASAP. something very very strange going on here.

3. Oxonian3 macrumors regular

Okay,i'm guessing that no one is in your house that's why your going to call ghost busters on the phto editing ghost

4. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Do you shut down your MacBook Pro on a regular basis? The reason I ask is because you mentioned switching from Windows. With Macs there is really no need to shutdown the computers, they are designed to be left on all the time. I leave my Macbook Pro on all the time except for when I close the lid and it is sleeping.

5. fingleburt thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies, just me and the wife at home and she knows better than to touch my gadgets :D. Not turning it off when I'm not using it is going to take an adjustment, doesnt it effect the life time of the battery ? Also slightly off the track a bit from my "ghostly" issue but I'm getting an imprint of my keyboard onto the screen when I close the lid, I'm guessing that I need a screen protector a la Iphone ? I at the moment just leave the keyboard cover that it came with inbetween the screen and keyboard whenever I close the lid.

TIA
    Fingle

6. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

The battery should be charged and used. Not using the battery properly can shorten its life span. Take a look at this Apple document about calibrating the battery. What year is your MacBook Pro? There is a rubber gramet that sticks out around the inner frame on the LCD panel. It is designed such that when you close the lid it keeps the keyboard from pressing up againt the LCD screen panel.

7. Oxonian3 macrumors regular

Maybe if there is an imprint of the keys on the screen it's not a ghost but probably JUST MAYBE the computer may have turned itself on while closed and fiddled with itself. >_> yes... maybe or YOU SHOULD BE RUNNING FOR THE HOLY WATER!

----------

or your wife could have been tempted to touch it or press the on button (which i fine is nice to press) and couldnt turn it off and didn't tell you...I fine the above to be more likely but who knows :D

8. fingleburt thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I should of said it's an early 2011 MBP running Lion native ie, it came preinstalled :D. I see no such gramet or gromit if that's what you mean ? The black bezel is smooth as is the body that the screen meets when it's closed.

9. Taz Mangus, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I assume that your MackBook Pro is the version that comes with the matte finish screen. I would think that Apple would have designed the matte finish version to be similar to the gloss version where the keyboard would not imprint the screen. I would verify this with Apple and take care of it if it is a problem.

10. mmduluth macrumors regular

Getting back to your original question... It sounds like there is some kind of program that is waking your computer from sleep somehow.

Have you installed anything new recently?

Edit: Your computer was in sleep mode right? Or was it shut down?

11. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

You get things like this, I have folders which I created days ago that say they were created more then 10 years ago....
    These little oddities are really not something to worry about (Providing your computer was shutdown and not asleep). I have also had many strange occurrences with the Adobe updater....

12. MarocSpecops macrumors newbie

MarocSpecops

13. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

There isn't a matte 13"

14. Dominus Mortem macrumors regular

My brand new MBP 13" did a very similar thing. I started a software update at a restaurant, didn't finish, closed it and took it home. It connected to my home network while in clamshell mode and kept downloading (I deduced that later). The next day I open it up and it's non-responsive. It won't wake and yet I can see it's on, the screen is very very dim but I can see the desktop. I shut it down and it starts up and finishes installing the download and now all works normally. It's running LION. I suspect this is a bit of LION goofiness going on.

15. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I still got Ghostbusters! Who ya gonna call?

As for the imprint, do you use a keyboard cover like a Moshi or something? If not, I can't imagine how you're getting an imprint like that unless there is some sort of manufacturing defect that has made the lid be tight when it's closed. I don't get that on my 2011 13" MBP and haven't seen it on any others so I'm thinking defect of some sort.

16. MrWaffles macrumors member

My cat has taken a liking to sleeping on my mbp while it's closed. I thought was causing the keyboard imprint on my screen. I kept cleaning it and it has not been a problem since. I think that just happens when you have a newer macbook for some reason. I was closing it at night with a micro fiber cloth in it for a while to stop it but it seems to have stopped on its own.

edit: My cat cannot be controlled. He will sleep on anything he wants to.

17. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

In that case, there is problem with the OP MacBook Pro as there should be a rubber seal running around near the outer edge of the LCD panel.