Is my MBP memory okay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BigBuns, Nov 4, 2014.

1. BigBuns macrumors newbie

BigBuns

Hey there,

So I noticed that I have a high amount of virtual memory used and the memory is an amber colour now. I installed an SSD into my MBP recently and I was wondering if the swaps/high virtual memory will have any negative impacts on the life of the SSD?

At the time I took the photo I had safari open with about 6 tabs, mail, finder, Microsoft word, and the activity monitor itself, so nothing too memory intensive.

Just wanted some thoughts on it? Maybe a RAM upgrade needed? There is 4GB in it.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jimmyco2008 macrumors regular

The RAM could do with an upgrade...

Swapping isn't good for the SSD.

3. Potatochobit macrumors regular

restart your computer and check again
    web browsers have memory leaks and you may have been using other programs in the past

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given what you're running and you only have 4GB of ram, I think what you are showing is ok. Yeah, your memory pressure will be in the green if you upgrade your ram but I think at this point its not inhibiting you too much.

5. BigBuns thread starter macrumors newbie

BigBuns

Hmm, interesting to know. I restarted it and opened all of the same programs and number of tabs in safari as the last screenshot and now things look good...

I wonder how much of a memory leak there is. Maybe a build up of cache in safari was consuming the memory? Seems the computer just needed a fresh start. And yes I had been using other programs in the past, but were closed at the time.

Thanks for the replies.

Attached Files: