Is my MBP safe at this point?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xheathen, May 16, 2013.

1. xheathen macrumors 6502

Hey all. Odd situation - about a year ago my son spilled an entire cup or juice into my laptop. Aside from freaking out I did the immediate shut down / rice technique followed by opening the back and popping all the keys out to clean it.

I've heard in situations like this the sugar will eventually kill the motherboard. But it's been a year at this point and no issues.

I've been hesitant to upgrade to a SSD just because didn't want it to die. But seeing the longevity so far, is it safe to think I got lucky and it won't fail?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's hard to say. The acids will eventually kill the LB if they ever came into contact with it...A year down the line? I'd say it's worth taking the risk.

3. xheathen thread starter macrumors 6502

It was apple juice, so I don't know where on the spectrum that is in terms of acidity and I don't quite know how much of it came in contact with the LB, but it was definitely in the disk drive and on the back panel when I pulled it off, so it had to have gotten all over the LB, right?

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yep, and apple juice is very high on the scale of acid content too. You did all the right things, post spill. Only you can really make the call, but the worst that can happen is that you wind up having to buy a new LB....I think if it was me I'd risk it.

5. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

Yeah and the SSD can be put in other computers or used as storage. I would go for it.