Is my MBP sleeping or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 251920, Jan 3, 2010.

1. 251920 macrumors member

HI, I had Leopard and after 15 minutes of being idle my MBP used to go to sleep,the led indicator started to glimmer. When I pressed return key or the on/off button the MBP used to make a sorta "apple" noise(the same noise that it makes during startup) and wake up,but now,I have Snow Leopard installed(clean install) and the MBP still sorta goes to sleep(the white led indicator still glimmers(blinks,flashes-can't pick a correct word to describe it)) but now any button wakes it up and no more noise, as if only the screen goes to sleep(coz the battery consumption isn't the same as it is when it "really" sleeps).
    So, please tell me, do I have a problem with my MBP going to sleep or is the sleep mode different in Snow Leopard?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could wake any Mac OS X computer with more than just the return key long before 10.6 arrived.

My iBook had 10.3.x on it and any key could wake t from sleep.

The noise you refer to is the Mac OS checking the DVD drive of any inserted optical media. SL might have included a firmware update which gets rid of this.

To see if your Mac really sleeps, check the System Preferences > Energy Savings pane and the next time the screen goes blank and your suspect your Mac sleeping, put your finger on the trackpad and move around (without clicking it though). If the Mac wakes then, it was only the display that was asleep, which is normal. The display goes black before the Mac goes to sleep. Check the settings.

3. Fuchal macrumors 68020

If you have all your updates installed, Apple recently patched the optical drive noise so it no longer makes the noise when waking from sleep.