Is my MBP start up time normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChipRivers, Feb 10, 2014.

1. ChipRivers macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro running Mavericks (10.9.1), with 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 and 16GB RAM.

I have recently noticed that it is taking what appears to be quite a long time to startup after being shut down. It sits on the metallic apple logo screen for around a minute. I am sure it never used to take this long but generally I only put it to sleep rather than a complete shut down so not sure if this is a normal time for startup.

Any comments would be appreciated.

2. maflynn, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That seems a little long to me.

I'd try running the disk utility and see if there's any issues with your storage.

Also look at the syslogs to see if OSX is reporting any problems during the startup

I'd also run the Apple Hardware Test, I believe hitting D before it boots up will do this may help uncover what's going on.

[MOD NOTE]
    I moved your thread to the Macbook Pro forum as you'll get more targeted advice there on your MBP

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Are you using a HDD or SSD?

SSDs normally boot in just 11 seconds.

4. ChipRivers thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe it is HDD

5. ChipRivers thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried AHT but holding down D did not do anything.

I have run verify disk in disc utility which did not appear to show any problems. Just running verify disc permissions now which has brought up a long list of "permissions differ..." messages. Should I Repair disc permissions?

6. ChipRivers thread starter macrumors newbie

I have now managed to carry out AHT (alt + D at start up) but no errors were detected.

How do I access syslogs?

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

For a HDD, that's normal. I used to have a 7200rpm drive that took about just as long to boot.

If you wish to stick to your current HDD, go repair disk permissions first and see whether disk errors are impacting performance or not.

Actually, hard drives do slow down. Physically they do not. They still spin at the same speed and such, but as the hdd becomes more and more fragmented from writes and deletes, the read head will have to search over more and more area to find/extract the files being called for.

If you want your Mac to boot in just 11 seconds, buy an SSD. I have a Samsung 840 Pro 512GB in my 2011 15" MBP and it boots that fast.

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

agreed SSD will boot in 10 seconds, I had a HDD and mavericks took longer than ML or Lion which was around 50 seconds for me

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Plus the 2-3 minute wait after logging in before the Mac can get into a useable state (on a HDD, that is). With an SSD, it's immediately useable upon login.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

11. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

My MBP took about 90 seconds to boot when I had a HDD. After installing a SSD that has dropped to less than 15 seconds. It almost seems like it takes me longer to type my password than for the computer to boot.

12. ChipRivers thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the responses. I have carried out the various suggestions but my boot time is still in the region of 50 to 60 seconds.

It would appear from the later comments that this is actually perfectly normal for my current hardware configuration, so I am not going to worry that there is an issue with the performance.

I don't think I can afford to upgrade to SSD at the moment, especially based on the prices through the Apple Store. Can anybody recommend alternative outlets (I am in UK) for purchasing SSD, and any other specifics such as brand or models.

13. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Buy a Samsung 840 Evo from places like B&H or Amazon.

14. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

They always have them on eBay.co.uk too.

Barney

15. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

im not familiar with UK retail shop names but the Samsung Evo is one of the best SSDs currently on the market and it should be available anywhere computers are sold