Is my mbp temperatures in range?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by i4k20c, Apr 14, 2013.

1. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

I like to run my 13inch mbp in clamshell mode and notice that often times the fan is running. Even when it appears the screen is idle and the computer is sleeping, the fan seems to be kicked on at times. Is keeping it in clamshell mode doing harm in terms of excess heat to the computer?

Here is some information:

[​IMG]

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Macs are meant to withstand temperatures up to 105 degrees Celcius for the CPU and similar temperatures for the GPU. Your CPU temp is around 174 F. (I presume) so around 80 C. That is normal and safe while using the iGPU to run an external moniter. The fans are just kicking in to cool down the GPU because it is working hard. Do not worry; Macs are tough machines and clamshell mode will not lower its lifespan.

3. i4k20c thread starter macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

yeah i should have specified that the temp's are in F. :p Thank you though for the re-assurance. Just hearing the fans on all the time, i wanted to make sure I wasn't doing diminishing my computers life. I love my mac, but if it broke down currently, i would not be able to afford a new one for a little bit so just want to try and treat it the best i can. :)