Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pjny

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
Hi,

I replaced the optibay DVD player on my MBPro mid-2010 13" with 115GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD Drive and Data Doubler in March 2011, two months after the laptop was purchased.

My logic board died and I have a 3-year extended warranty so before giving the laptop to apple I put back the Optibay DVD player.

I have two sets of two screws: one is about 3mm, the other 5mm. I forget if OWC said to use longer(5mm) or shorter(3mm) screws to use to install the Data Doubler.

I left the longer 5mm screws in so I'm hoping Apple does not void my warranty if they disassemble the Optibay drive when replacing the logic board and notice the two longer screws.

Do you know the standard length of the two screws on the left side of the Optibay are?

The Apple genius said that if the techs at the repair center noticed if anything was "damaged" they would "stop the repair and contact you."

Also, if my 1-year warranty is voided but I paid for 3 year extended warranty
what can I do?

Thanks.

bucckevin

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2011
Hi,

I replaced the optibay DVD player on my MBPro mid-2010 13" with 115GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD Drive and Data Doubler in March 2011, two months after the laptop was purchased.

My logic board died and I have a 3-year extended warranty so before giving the laptop to apple I put back the Optibay DVD player.

I have two sets of two screws: one is about 3mm, the other 5mm. I forget if OWC said to use longer(5mm) or shorter(3mm) screws to use to install the Data Doubler.

I left the longer 5mm screws in so I'm hoping Apple does not void my warranty if they disassemble the Optibay drive when replacing the logic board and notice the two longer screws.

Do you know the standard length of the two screws on the left side of the Optibay are?

The Apple genius said that if the techs at the repair center noticed if anything was "damaged" they would "stop the repair and contact you."

Also, if my 1-year warranty is voided but I paid for 3 year extended warranty
what can I do?

Thanks.

I seriously doubt they will notice. The screw on mine is about 3mm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.