Is my mini's superdrive fried?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by steamboat26, Jul 6, 2007.

1. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I was trying to burn a CD today, and as soon as i clicked burn, my superdrive started to emit a loud buzzing sound, almost like the propeller on a RC plane, the disc was burning, but the estimated time rose to over an hour. I can't tell if it's because i used cheap Dynex CDs, or if my drive is messed up. I burned a CD not too long ago (maybe like a month), but it was on a memorex CD. I have tried, and failed, to burn DVDs in the past, and I thought it was just stupid errors on my part or faulty media.
    Is my drive dead?
    Has anyone ever encountered this problem?
    What can I do about it?

I am going to try a "good" CD as soon as I can find one, in the hopes that dynex just makes horrible CDs, but in the mean time, I could use some help.

2. korndog2003 macrumors regular

korndog2003

Yeh that stinks.... The iMac C2D Superdrive at school has problems with red memorex disks... Hopefully your mini is still under warranty :(

3. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Unfortunately, my 1 year warranty expired in may, and i wasn't able to get online to buy the extended warranty in time. :(

4. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Update: i used a memorex, and successfully burned a disc. I guess my mini doesn't like Dynex CDs (or DVDs for that matter)

5. korndog2003 macrumors regular

korndog2003

Dynexs are cheap, I bought a 50 pack for $4 and that was the biggest waste, they flake and burn really slow...