Is my MP about to die?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by juliancs, Sep 27, 2010.

1. juliancs macrumors 6502

Hi folks,

I have a 2009 Quad Mac Pro. It's been totally great until maybe two weeks ago.

I could no longer use the keyboard before the Apple logo upon boot. As in, can't reset PRAM, can't choose boot (bootcamp/OSX) etc.
    In windows, every key I press mutes/unmutes the volume, until I uncheck/check the "All F buttons as standard functions" button. Even then, typing brings up random error pings and a letter or two will be missing.
    In OSX, the Volume indicator (which has a cross through it as I use an external card) flashes up on to the screen randomly.

I thought it might just be the keyboard going, but in the last couple of days, my mouse, a Logitech MX revolution has started to get stuck for a second or so when moving at random intervals. It's usable and more a nuisance, but it raised my suspicions.
    I've also had a harddrive die, which has been ticking since 2006.

I don't know if it's all just coincidences, but I'd like to sort it out and know if my Logic board is going to go..I have stuff to score and if so need to sort out an alternate workstation!

any advice would be appreciated.

2. DaveAmbler macrumors member

DaveAmbler

You could try reinstalling OSX and see if this fixes your problems? Although the strangeness at boot does make it sound like there's a deeper problem :( Perhaps the USB bit is on its way out. Does it do this with all the USB ports (front and back)?

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I wouldn't count the hard drive as related.

Have you tried a different keyboard? That sounds to me like the keyboard had something spilled on it.

4. juliancs thread starter macrumors 6502

Keyboard not had anything spilled on it. I unfortunately don't have another keyboard to test. I've tried all the usb ports, as well as a powered USB hub. Same deal in all. Can I reinstall OSX without wiping all my files? I think I can, right?

5. MeAngry macrumors member

I wouldn't bother trying to reinstall if this happens in Windows and pre-boot. It won't help.
    You'd really have to try another keyboard to rule this one out. Lend one from a friend perhaps?

6. juliancs thread starter macrumors 6502

reinstall did not help...

i can try and find a keyboard. doing so would not solve the mouse issue though?

7. pintsizemacman macrumors regular

pintsizemacman

your hard drive or lodgic board might be goin out:(

8. juliancs thread starter macrumors 6502

what make you say this? I fail to see how a 'hard drive goin out' would affect keyboard response.

anyway, I know the studio manager at my college well so I'll ask him if I can borrow a kb.

9. cutterman macrumors regular

Where do you you plug in the USB transceiver for the wireless mouse?

10. juliancs thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey,
    As said earlier I've tried it in all ports.