Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
I've had a Sansa Clip for a little over a year, and up until a month ago it was working quite well. Then the FM player died, which didn't really bother me because I was just listening to music files anyway. But in the weeks since the FM payer died, the Clip seems to be randomly mis-assigning some tracks to an "Unknown" folder, despite the fact that there's nothing different about the ID tagging on those particular tracks. It's gotten to the point where I have to check every album to import into the Clip to see what's happened THIS time....

iTunes on my desktop, meanwhile, is happily playing all these same albums with no such confusion. I'd upgrade to an iPod Touch, if I could get the money together, except for the so-so reviews of its audio quality (the Sansa has gotten raves for its sound, and I have to agree).

Does flash memory go bad after a certain period of time? Could the death of the FM player caused peripheral damage to other parts of the player?

coronel mustard

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2008
Standish, England
Does flash memory go bad after a certain period of time? Could the death of the FM player caused peripheral damage to other parts of the player?

Yeah flash memory has around 100,000 write-erase cycles before the wear begins to show- sounds like the first causality of this was the fm feature and now the music.

Why not invest in an ipod shuffle or nano- both are far cheaper than the touch and will probably hold all the music you have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.