Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 10, 2007
I have a Belkin pre-n wireless router in the living room.
There is a PC with Win XP upstairs with a Belkin n wireless adaptor.
There is a Mac Pro with OSX 1.5.2 downstairs connected via ethernet to the router which also runs Win XP on Bootcamp.
And we have a couple of MBP laptops with Tiger OSX with built in airport (and I suppose bluetooth as well?) around the house.
The upstairs PC has an Epson printer connected and the downstairs Mac Pro has a Canon printer connected.

I am at a total loss on how to get them all to network together so that we can print to any of the printers from the various computers and also how to share files. I would like for this to work whether my Mac Pro is in OSX or running Windows.

Before going Mac, I had a PC downstairs connected via ethernet and the PC upstairs with the wireless adaptor and they were able to share files and printers, but now nothing works. I have tried repeatedly to set things up without success.

Can anyone please suggest some places to find information on setting up what I am trying to do or advise me whether it is even possible to do with the current setup?

Since the Mac Pro has built-in bluetooth, is that an option at least for the MBP laptops to use? Where could I find out information about that, and would that setup conflict with whatever solution was available for the rest of my setup?

Thanks a lot for any advice.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
To print you need to have the computers awake and printer sharing set up on all the computers you want to be able to print. Keep in mind that Windows and any kind of Norton/other Firewall/Antivirus could cause some issues. You are going to want to go in there and put in Trust on the IP addresses of all of the computers. Then you have to tell it to share the specific printers. Windows can be iffy sometimes. I'd suggest a good google search for printer sharing PC and Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.