Is my "new" iMac used?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Bergson17, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Bergson17 macrumors newbie

Just got a new imac - it already has an administrator account set up. It also has a number of apps on the desktop that look like they were used to check functionality of hardware in the unit. Am I being paranoid or does this appear to have been a repacked return being passed off as new?

2. buster84 macrumors 6502

It's used, a new one would not have an account setup, let alone apps on the desktop.

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

4. Bergson17 thread starter macrumors newbie

I used the educational discount at the university where I work. It arrived today and was still in the external brown shipping box. I am absolutely certain that the package wasn't opened by the folks at the campus computer desk...

5. jimmyusmc macrumors member

Well to be safe, call Apple and talk to them. Remember that you still have a time frame to return it and/or exchange it for another.

6. josh.b macrumors regular

get onto Apple. Even if the machine is perfectly fine you never know and you pay the Apple price for quality and goodness. You will probably get a freebie out of it as a token of apology too. $50 iTunes card?

7. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Urm I somehow doubt he will get a token of apology like that. Perhaps upgrade ram/hard drive. Just my experience though. If I were you I would return it though and contact apple!

8. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Or expedited shipping free of charge (or a refund of previously paid expedited shipping). This happened to me recently.