is my new Macbook broken already?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by AntiTory, Jan 3, 2014.

1. AntiTory macrumors newbie

Hi
    I bought a new Macbook Air 13 inch, 256GB on 25th November 2013

I notice that the battery only has 95% capacity already. When I first bought it the capacity was just over 100%.

Also I only get about 3 hours use out of it when it's fully charged.

I've only used the macbook for normal light things like checking email and surfing the net.

Is this normal????

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If this is normal then it's one expensive hype.

OK, this is where you cannot just drive the car, you must understand how it works.

1. Have the Activity Monitor, Displaying CPU load, sit on you dock so you are constantly looking at it. During normal operation, the CPU meters should be flat and hardly moving, otherwise you have some unknown background task that's draining your battery. Then you need to go find what those are and why they are there.

2. If everything is fine, do a couple of calibration cycles: Use it on batt until it gets to single digit, then let it charge fully wo using it. Repeat once more.

If still prob, take it to Apple.

3. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

My battery with 285 cycles 1.4 years old has 79.4% capacity left, but it fluctuates so much it isn't an accurate reading by any means. It could say 79.4 today, and next week it could be as high as 88%. I wouldn't put to much trust in it. As for the usage, that is pretty bad. Do what Mrbobb suggested and do a few calibration cycles.

4. ACMemphis10 macrumors newbie

5. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

you don't need this at all.

6. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Calibration is not needed on unibody MacBooks. Though it IS recommended to 'workout' your battery by fully draining and recharging it because it keeps all the electrons moving.

OP - What is your brightness level? What programs are you running? Have you checked out the features that Mavericks has to track down how your battery is being used during these 3 hours of usage?

Yes, your maximum capacity is going to fluctuate. Mines at 85% after 241 cycles and owning it for 15 months. The more you keep moving your electrons the better the health is going to be. I cycle mine once a week otherwise I tried to stay plugged in when I can but not worried about it when I'm out and about.