Is my new MacBook Pro defective?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrat93, Jul 7, 2011.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I got my new 15" MacBook Pro a couple of weeks ago and I love it. However, I have noticed two issues since I started using it:

1. I'll leave the power adapter plugged into the wall. Sometimes, when the computer is hot or after heavy usage and I plug in the MagSafe, it will not accept a charge. The status bar icon shows no indication of it being plugged in and the light on the MagSafe will not be on at all. I have to remove the power adapter from the wall and plug it back in to accept a charge. Occasionally, I'll even get "Not Charging" in the status bar.

2. This just happened to me before when I was on FaceTime with my friend. The backlit keyboard shut itself off. When I tried to turn it back on, it would show the popup, but it the backlight would not turn on. The popup showed the backlight to be "locked." Once I got off FaceTime and the fans slowed down, the backlight behind the keyboard began working again. Is this just to prevent overheating and to manage power consumption?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

I think the chances of your power adapter being defective are greater

3. Jexta macrumors member

I believe both these are related to heat issues. Download iStatPro and monitor the temperature of your machine during use, and see if there is any correlation between the temperatures when either it wont charge or the backlight disables.

If these issues happen when the MBP is cool, then I would suggest taking it back and having it looked at by a service tech, as it could be a faulty logic board or mag safe.

4. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

There is a reason that the backlit keyboard wasn't lighting up. There is a light sensor right by the camera that detects the amount of natural light in an area. If the natural light is great enough, the backlit keyboard will not turn on, giving you the "locked" popup that you saw when trying to operate it. the reason it may not have been working for you could be that the area your friend was in produced enough light to turn the backlit keyboard sensor off.