Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

damezumari

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2014
My experience with nMP (6 core base model, after-market memory upgrade to 32GB, 1TB external SSD) has been definitely a mixed bag so far.. sure, it is beautiful, plugged to 2 4k monitors (+ projector) when it works.

However, when it does not..

• It fails to resume at times. Not even pingable from the network. Usually only after overnight, and relatively infrequent (maybe once a month).
  • Display(s) fail to work on resume. Sometimes toggling HDMI cable in and out helps, sometimes not (this seems to be perhaps weekly occurrence).
  • It does not usually show any picture on the monitors plugged via DP 1.2 (60hz) at boot. I have to plug in something to HDMI (and rip off DP cables) to get login window (always).
  • GPU crashed once (or perhaps more, and no logs?) spectacularly with some sort of 'attempting to restart messages' and ASIC dumps in system log. (This was in Mavericks two months ago; I have not seen it on Yosemite yet.)
  • On login, most of the time first login (after entering password) results in a restart, but second login works. I have vague memory of this happening also on the Mac Mini the nMP replaced, so perhaps it is an inherited problem from Time Machine-based migration..

So. Are those problems normal, or should I have it looked at, and what are the odds it would actually get fixed? As I use this to work, during most of the year having it in the shop for a prolonged period would not really help. I could work on a laptop (using just one 4k display), I guess, but am not too tempted to do so unless these problems seem actually solvable.

(The Apple Diagnostics does not report any problems, although it looks really weird; black screen with white _text_ for shutdown+restart, but no icons for them.)

nox-uk

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2012
I don't have a 6,1 but from what I gather there are sleep issues when using an lg 34um95 monitor, and many 4k monitors.

I'd also try removing the external SSD if it's thunderbolt as I sure I read something about these at one point, and popping the original memory back in.

Failing all that, make sure you get extended AppleCare :) there are places selling them cheaper than apple do aswell...

Nox

sirio76

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Sleep problems are subjective, I'm using an LG 34um95 for months without any issues. BTW I don't have any of the above problems.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
just got a nMP and i've already had startup and shutdown problem.s

Basically when I go to shutdown, it freezes on a black screen. And won't shut down. I have to hold down the power button.

But it seems to be a yosemite problem only. I've researched online and it seems other people with yosemite on iMac, or MBP's are having the same shutdown and startup issues

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Basically when I go to shutdown, it freezes on a black screen. And won't shut down. I have to hold down the power button.

Freeze for how long?

My old Mac Pro (Yosemite) may stay at the black screen for a minutes before it continue to shutdown.

Anyway, I follow this method to speed up the shutdown process.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
Freeze for how long?

My old Mac Pro (Yosemite) may stay at the black screen for a minutes before it continue to shutdown.

Anyway, I follow this method to speed up the shutdown process.

The longest I let it try to shutdown was for 6 hours, because I eventually just went to sleep. lol. I woke up the next morning, and still black screen.

The workaround is I need to log out of my profile. Then when it gets to the profile page (username and guest) I can shutdown/restart from there.

It works, but I wish apple can hurry up and get a fix on this.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
My experience with nMP (6 core base model, after-market memory upgrade to 32GB, 1TB external SSD) has been definitely a mixed bag so far.. sure, it is beautiful, plugged to 2 4k monitors (+ projector) when it works.

However, when it does not..

• It fails to resume at times. Not even pingable from the network. Usually only after overnight, and relatively infrequent (maybe once a month).
  • Display(s) fail to work on resume. Sometimes toggling HDMI cable in and out helps, sometimes not (this seems to be perhaps weekly occurrence).
  • It does not usually show any picture on the monitors plugged via DP 1.2 (60hz) at boot. I have to plug in something to HDMI (and rip off DP cables) to get login window (always).
  • GPU crashed once (or perhaps more, and no logs?) spectacularly with some sort of 'attempting to restart messages' and ASIC dumps in system log. (This was in Mavericks two months ago; I have not seen it on Yosemite yet.)
  • On login, most of the time first login (after entering password) results in a restart, but second login works. I have vague memory of this happening also on the Mac Mini the nMP replaced, so perhaps it is an inherited problem from Time Machine-based migration..

So. Are those problems normal, or should I have it looked at, and what are the odds it would actually get fixed? As I use this to work, during most of the year having it in the shop for a prolonged period would not really help. I could work on a laptop (using just one 4k display), I guess, but am not too tempted to do so unless these problems seem actually solvable.

(The Apple Diagnostics does not report any problems, although it looks really weird; black screen with white _text_ for shutdown+restart, but no icons for them.)

Your second and third bullets are known issues with some 4K displays and OS X... It's not your particular Mac Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.