Is my old infrared mouse compatible with OSX?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by m i k e, May 18, 2008.

1. m i k e macrumors member

I got an infrared mouse when I purchased a Toshiba Satellite in 2003. The mouse worked great with the Toshiba but now I'm trying to get it to work with my MacBook Pro running Leopard. I press the reset button on the mouse but the computer doesn't recognize it. Is there anyway to make this mouse work or am I out of luck? There is no USB attachment by the way. It would just connect to the Toshiba, I'm assuming, through its IR port.

2. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

When you say that it's infrared, do you mean it has a light at the bottom instead of a trackball? I'm not sure if it would be able to connect to your MBP's infrared port.

Have you tried switching on Bluetooth in case it connects with that?

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

They don't mean it;s an optical mouse. They mean it uses the IR port of certain computers. The MBP has a remote port, but I would think it would not work over that. I think you need to get a new mouse.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

MBP don't have IR ports. The IR sensor is for the remote only: it's not IrDA or data compatible in any way.

5. m i k e thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. That makes sense. Now I can stop wasting my time trying to get it to work.