Is my panel LG or Samsung ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by LevMac, Feb 16, 2013.

1. LevMac macrumors 6502

LevMac

Hi guys,

I know there is a terminal code you can use for the Retina MacBook Pro's to check what brand display panel its using such as this one:

ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

However, when I type that into the terminal on my iMac, I get no answer at all.

Is there another terminal code to use that gives you a response as to what panel my iMac is using ?

And yes, I have IR problems :( Just wanna guarantee that its an LG panel

2. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

All iMac panels are made by LG. there's no panel lottery

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

By IR problems, do you mean if you leave a checkerboard up on screen and then switch to a specific shade of grey it stays there for a while?

That's not a problem, that's you running a test designed to show the effects of image retention on some IPS panels that would otherwise be within spec.

4. Mac32 macrumors 65816

I have absolutely no IR issues with my panel, having had my iMac 27'' now for a month, and I've been specifically looking for IR. (I've put my iMac through the wringer plenty of times too.) I really feel for you people out there affected by IR, that sucks... :(

5. jediDev macrumors regular

Having had several MBPr units with IR, and now having one without, I'd humbly suggest that IR isn't an imaginary problem.

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

No, it's a "problem" with most IPS panels. If it shows up under normal circumstances then it's a problem. if only a specifically designed test (if you've been through multiple I suggest this is the case) shows it, then it's within spec.

7. WilliamG macrumors G3

It's a problem with SOME IPS panels. Most IPS panels do not have image retention. Easy proof: There are a LOT of iPhone 4/4S/5 devices out there. They have IPS displays. Not seeing reports of image retention out there on iPhones are we? :)

ALL LCDs can experience image retention, in the same way that ALL LCDs can experience dead/stuck pixels. But I treat image retention the same way I treat dead/stuck pixels: NOT acceptable, under any normal circumstances. In the case, of dead/stuck pixels, that means they're NEVER acceptable to me. And in the case of image retention, under normal use (and I mean WHATEVER I'm doing that is my normal LCD usage), NOT acceptable.

If my 2012 iMac develops this, the screen is being exchanged. It's not acceptable. I've had a TON of IPS-panel products, and a 2009 27" iMac that was on pretty much 24/7 for 3 years with never, ever any image retention. If a brand new 2012 has issues - it's faulty. Period.

8. jediDev macrumors regular

Speaking for myself only, I've never done a special test. I had two MBPrs, both of which retained images, and both of which got worse over time. I replaced them both. The first for a new MBPr which had the same problem. The second time, my screen was replaced. I no longer experience the problem. As it happens, the first two panels were LG panels; the one I have now is Samsung.

I've also had 3 2012 iMacs and none of them had IR under normal use. One was a 27 inch.

My first gen iPad had really bad IR, but it didn't bother me, because I thought it was normal. I haven't had IR since on any of the 3 iPads I've had since then, and I now realize that it wasn't normal—it was just that my standards were low.

Maybe the OP had some specially designed test designed to create IR, but even if he did, there are definitely too many displays out there that are getting IR under normal conditions.

If you haven't seen it, you don't know what you're talking about. And if you have a display with IR that's noticeable under normal conditions and you're just living with it, you're selling yourself short.

9. WilliamG macrumors G3

Never a truer word spoken!

10. jediDev macrumors regular

Completely agree. When you can read the text that was on your screen before you switched windows, it's not close to acceptable.

----------

BTW, the Samsung display that I have now is fabulous as far as IR goes.

It's actually changed somewhat over time—gotten a little less yellow natively. (I had to recalibrate it.) Anyway, I'm really glad I took it in—and I'm also glad that Apple stands by its products and does such a good job at servicing machines when they are faulty.

11. iCaleb macrumors 6502

If Apple ever has to ditch LG they should use panasonic IPS panels.