Is my PC faster than this iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Visualgap, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Visualgap macrumors member

I'm trying to convince my uncle to replace his PC for this iMac but he said that his PC is faster because it has 3.00 GHz.. I think he is wrong because the PC is too old... or Am I wrong???:confused:

PC.JPG == His PC

View attachment 164845 == The iMac

Attached Files:

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The iMac is faster. The Core 2 architecture used in the iMac CPU is considerably faster at the same clock speed than the Pentium 4 used in his old PC. There are also 2 CPU cores in the iMac rather than the single one in the Pentium 4.

Look here: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/common_cpus.html

A Core 2 Duo at 2.00GHz gets a score of about 1300 where as a P4 at 3GHz gets a score of about 450,

3. GamaFu macrumors regular

Don't forget the Intel Core 2 Duo has two cores. Multi-threading can help the performance a lot. To have some ideas how much the difference is, you can take a look at Tom's Hardware's 2006 CPU chart. Without considering too much details, let's assume he has an Intel Pentium 4 630 which is 3 GHz. Also, let's say the one in iMac is similar to an Intel Core 2 Duo E6700. (Note that I am ignoring a lot of factors.) Also, faster memory speed would help performance too. The iMac is definitely faster than his old machine. Don't go by numbers for modern CPUs. :)

4. wrxdrunkie macrumors member

He should either not replace the pc, or if he chooses to replace it, get something considerably faster than that imac. If your going to upgrade, UPGRADE.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Sweet Jeebus, he's comparing a Pentium 4 to a C2D??? How old is P4 technology, 4 or 5 years at least?

It only becomes useful to compare clockspeeds between CPU's of identical architecture, chipset, and FSB. The P4 and Core series processors are way, way too different to get any meaningful comparison out of clock speed.

6. Visualgap thread starter macrumors member

Faster than this iMac??? Which one do you recommend??

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

This iMac is good enough.

Tell your uncle to read articles about the 'Megahertz Myth':
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megahertz_myth

Tell him a 1.86GHz Core 2 Duo is faster than his 3GHz Pentium 4.

8. Visualgap thread starter macrumors member

lol he will be shocked! thanks everyone! :D

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I suggest those who don't know what they're talking about refrain from posting. The iMac is already considerably faster than the PC. kthxbye.

10. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

His PC's P4 architecture is very inefficient. The Core 2 architecture has less pipelines and since it has 2 cores, can process approximately twice as much data as the P4. Also, the FSB is faster. The overall configuration is probably much better as well.

11. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Haha, actually it's more like almost 9 years old! Launched back in 2000! I remember I was just getting out of middle school when they introduced it...How much has changed since then...? :eek:

They launched at like 1.6 Ghz, but was slower than a Pentium III! Of course, was due to architecture difference...And Intel wanted everyone to believe that higher clock speed = higher performance. Damn Moore's law!

Anyway, the iMac will run circles around that 3Ghz Pentium 4 based system. It's probably like at least 20 times faster... :p

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

4 years.

My uni bought me a really decent Dell desktop with the same processor and RAM. ;)

Having said that, I never felt that it was slow for normal use. If he doesn't need a new computer, then he shouldn't buy one even if there are faster machines out there. :)

13. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

You mean a 3.0 Ghz pentium 4. If that is what you mean it is really not a decent desktop unless it was bought at least 4 years ago.

14. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

Exactly! Why should he buy a new computer, if he is totally satisfied with his current one?

15. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

It doesn't say that he is satisfied with his old one. It just says that he think that his old one is faster. If he realised that the iMac is faster and he still didn't want to change that would be different.