Is my phone unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by lamar0607, Oct 27, 2011.

1. lamar0607 macrumors member

This is probably one of those things where if I have to ask, it means no.

I simply have a 3GS that fulfilled its contract with ATT. I'm selling it on ebay, but I don't want to mislead buyers by saying it's unlocked if it's not. It's been upgraded to iOS 5, and modem firmware is 05.16.05

I'm not even sure what unlocked means. I mean, can't a 3GS just accept any SIM card and work on a GSM network worldwide? I don't need an in depth explanation, I just want to correctly advertise and sell my phone.

2. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

If you bought the phone with the contract for $199 (or $299), it's locked to AT&T, doesn't matter if your contract is finished.

If you bought the phone factory unlocked (for about $800 or thereabouts), then it's unlocked.

3. lamar0607 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Does this mean that if I sold it to someone outside the US, that it wouldn't work?

4. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

more than likely not, unless there is a jailbreak/unlock available.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you're willing to JB it, you can install the iPad bb to unlock. However, this disables gps and the buyer can never upgrade through iTunes ever again--unless they like spending hours fixing the mess.

6. lamar0607 thread starter macrumors member

I would be willing to JB it if it could be done untethered but I don't believe iOS 5 has been.

So how do I correctly advertise this? Just don't say "unlocked"?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

AT&T iphone 3GS on stock 5.0 firmware.
    It will still sell.

8. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Normally if I were to sell my iphone through ebay, I would state that it is an AT&T iphone and that it cannot be unlocked. That it will be shipped within U.S only.

9. Chunk Style macrumors newbie

I'm sort of in the same boat. Is there any reason the buyer needs my sim card, or should I remove it? If I understand correctly, that card is tied to my account.

10. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Downgrade it to 4.1 and tell buyer that it is currently locked to AT&T. However, there are options for him/her to jailbreak & unlocked it with software.

Buyer does not need your sim. What can he/she use it when it has been disconnected/cancelled?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You obviously dont send him your sim.
    Unless you want him to make phone calls and use your phone number and account.

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Pretty much. You should know if you unlocked the device or paid for an unlocked device (iPhone or not).