Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamar0607

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
This is probably one of those things where if I have to ask, it means no.

I simply have a 3GS that fulfilled its contract with ATT. I'm selling it on ebay, but I don't want to mislead buyers by saying it's unlocked if it's not. It's been upgraded to iOS 5, and modem firmware is 05.16.05

I'm not even sure what unlocked means. I mean, can't a 3GS just accept any SIM card and work on a GSM network worldwide? I don't need an in depth explanation, I just want to correctly advertise and sell my phone.

lucifiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2009
In your basement
If you bought the phone with the contract for $199 (or $299), it's locked to AT&T, doesn't matter if your contract is finished.

If you bought the phone factory unlocked (for about $800 or thereabouts), then it's unlocked.

lamar0607

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Thanks. Does this mean that if I sold it to someone outside the US, that it wouldn't work?

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
If you're willing to JB it, you can install the iPad bb to unlock. However, this disables gps and the buyer can never upgrade through iTunes ever again--unless they like spending hours fixing the mess.

lamar0607

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I would be willing to JB it if it could be done untethered but I don't believe iOS 5 has been.

So how do I correctly advertise this? Just don't say "unlocked"?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I would be willing to JB it if it could be done untethered but I don't believe iOS 5 has been.

So how do I correctly advertise this? Just don't say "unlocked"?

Normally if I were to sell my iphone through ebay, I would state that it is an AT&T iphone and that it cannot be unlocked. That it will be shipped within U.S only.

Chunk Style

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2011
I'm sort of in the same boat. Is there any reason the buyer needs my sim card, or should I remove it? If I understand correctly, that card is tied to my account.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
I'm sort of in the same boat. Is there any reason the buyer needs my sim card, or should I remove it? If I understand correctly, that card is tied to my account.

Downgrade it to 4.1 and tell buyer that it is currently locked to AT&T. However, there are options for him/her to jailbreak & unlocked it with software.

Buyer does not need your sim. What can he/she use it when it has been disconnected/cancelled?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.