Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
Clod Hopper - I'm a bit like you. Rarely used Photoshop. But sometimes I need it. I did the art work for the name of my yacht. The Pros job was horrible. I too have a 2010 Mac Pro.

I lost something and went to re-install. And couldn't find my disk!! I had lots of software discs. Even Quark Express. Various versions of Illustrator. But no actual disk, and the box I have didn't have the numbers on it. I think they were inside a secondary box. I range Adobe and my account didn't register

In the end I went for the rental version.

I reckon my CS6 is available on a backup. But I gave up.

I paid for the alternative to Photoshop too ... but its interface was very different, and i gave up pretty quickly.
Melbourne Park. I know, for certain, that Photoshop CS6 installer can be downloaded (see previous posts, in this thread), if you have lost your own installer disc. If you particularly want to use P.S. and you bought it from Adobe, there will be a serial number stored in your account — there is in my account. As I see it, there are a lot of hoops to jump through, but if you are attentive, you will be able to install it. Read the previous posts. Good luck!
C.H.

PS: I would think it is a waste of time to ring Adobe. Look for your account on-line. I presume you know your password? Even if not, if you remember the registered email and can enter that, they will allow you to set a new password.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
PS: I would think it is a waste of time to ring Adobe. Look for your account on-line. I presume you know your password? Even if not, if you remember the registered email and can enter that, they will allow you to set a new password.

Firstly, I am in Australia.

I could not log on. Because I had a generic type of password. It was not gmail, but our (Australia's) second largest cell phone/internet provider, and the name was (using gmail) like : "peter@gmail.com". My provider couldn't handle the junk and the volume of emails I received after many years with no issues. I started to get emails such as air line ticket confirmations - really private stuff, that had emails sort of like "peter.junk@gmail.com" etc. And my real name isn't Peter!!! Occasionally I would have to delete all the emails on their server, because it would not work. And a few times their server deleted all my emails! So I had to stop using the email address.

Adobe were not helpful with my email change, and hence, I tried the phone. They were unsympathetic. I thought they would find my name and address, as I had registered all that, and I did have some numbers. They did nothing.

Also, I bought the software when I bought a lens for a camera from B&H in the USA. I did pay extra for the software, but it wasn't hugely expensive. In fact, it was pretty cheap. And along with the nice lens, came a full version of CS-6.

I registered with Adobe Australia, thinking that it would not register. But it did. Sweet.

Years later - after I had stop using that email address - I had to reinstall. I think there is a copy in a back-up on my intel MacBook Pro as well ... but I'd have to delete the mac to then backup that OS. It would be a lot of work. And it may well work off an old system drive disk in my 5,1 one of the many on a shelf may have the software and the OS on the one disk.

Now - if I need it, I pay the rent. I need to check actually if I am still paying it ... I probably am. But last time I looked it was a monthly deal, which isn't too bad actually.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
Firstly, I am in Australia.

I could not log on. Because I had a generic type of password. It was not gmail, but our (Australia's) second largest cell phone/internet provider, and the name was (using gmail) like : "peter@gmail.com". My provider couldn't handle the junk and the volume of emails I received after many years with no issues. I started to get emails such as air line ticket confirmations - really private stuff, that had emails sort of like "peter.junk@gmail.com" etc. And my real name isn't Peter!!! Occasionally I would have to delete all the emails on their server, because it would not work. And a few times their server deleted all my emails! So I had to stop using the email address.

Adobe were not helpful with my email change, and hence, I tried the phone. They were unsympathetic. I thought they would find my name and address, as I had registered all that, and I did have some numbers. They did nothing.

Also, I bought the software when I bought a lens for a camera from B&H in the USA. I did pay extra for the software, but it wasn't hugely expensive. In fact, it was pretty cheap. And along with the nice lens, came a full version of CS-6.

I registered with Adobe Australia, thinking that it would not register. But it did. Sweet.

Years later - after I had stop using that email address - I had to reinstall. I think there is a copy in a back-up on my intel MacBook Pro as well ... but I'd have to delete the mac to then backup that OS. It would be a lot of work. And it may well work off an old system drive disk in my 5,1 one of the many on a shelf may have the software and the OS on the one disk.

Now - if I need it, I pay the rent. I need to check actually if I am still paying it ... I probably am. But last time I looked it was a monthly deal, which isn't too bad actually.
You say you stopped using the email account, does that mean you somehow deleted the email account? If not why not just use it to get setup. If you have the email, just reset your Adobe account email, then login, go into your account settings and change your email to whatever you use now. It is a pretty simple process.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
You say you stopped using the email account, does that mean you somehow deleted the email account? If not why not just use it to get setup. If you have the email, just reset your Adobe account email, then login, go into your account settings and change your email to whatever you use now. It is a pretty simple process.

There are four email accounts with the provider. Three still work fine. The one I used a huge amount does not work. At least, when I tried with Adobe Australia. I tried another time about four months ago and it also did not work. The other 3 working email addressed do not have a stupid email address that I got in the late 1980's ie like "john@gmail.com". It sounded a clever email address back then but my cleverness in getting a simple email address turned out to be darn stupid.

I'm about to ditch the 5,1 Its a great machine, hasn't missed many beats (and only due to software / firmware things not hardware) but I now realise its soon going to be time for Apple silicon.

Last edited:

CLOD-HOPPER

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2015
Herbert123: The trouble occurs with any kind of file (I only work in RBG, so far as I know). The malfunction was spotted when I wanted to sharpen an image. I created a background copy, blinded out the original background, and chose Filter > High Pass, and altered the setting of High Pass appropriately. After the layer became greyed out (as it naturally does), I tried to change the blend mode to Soft Light (which would show the layer in colour (RBG again). However, it stayed grey, and that was when I found out that the blend modes were not working. They don't work with other RBG images, either. One of them was a RBG jpeg file — a photo taken with my own camera. I do have access to all of the blend modes and I can drop down the list of modes, to any mode I want to change to. However, none of them change — I have tried them all, more than once. I hope this information helps.
C.H.

PS: Sorry, I should have mentioned that the images are 8-bit. I'm not working in 32-bit or indexed colour mode.
Hi, Herbert123. Something happened today that solved the blending mode "problem"! I just had to let you know, because you probably were as puzzled, and almost as frustrated, as I was. I had scoured the Web for discussions of malfunctioning Blend Modes, but they were all posted by users of Photoshop CC, not CS. HOWEVER, in one discussion, I noticed a remark by someone that made scales drop from my eyes, so to speak. I paste the comments below:

Indeed. It [someone's blending modes not working, in P.S. CC] could be a layer compositing bug [as you say]. That happens, although not very often. ... But most often, it's the user's expectations. A blend mode is the interaction between two layers. It's not a property of a single layer. In other words, it's not a thing, it's a relationship.

It was at that moment, on reading the last sentence, that the truth dawned upon me. As I told you in my reply of April 27, I had been routinely "blinding out" the background layer. I did this to avoid confusion, and this was because of something that happened a few months ago and which need not be entered into. However, it was creating the very conditions that made it impossible for Blending Modes to work! The idea of a "relationship" (between two layers) alerted me to this. When you read my reply of 27 April, you overlooked a crucial bit of information.

Well, it has been a merry dance, to be sure, but all is well with Photoshop now, in every way. My Photoshop CS6 is running properly (even the Blending Modes), and is also properly validated. It has taken about two months for all the dust to settle. My sincere thanks, to everyone that have contributed to this thread.
C.H.

Herbert123

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
Hi, Herbert123. Something happened today that solved the blending mode "problem"! I just had to let you know, because you probably were as puzzled, and almost as frustrated, as I was. I had scoured the Web for discussions of malfunctioning Blend Modes, but they were all posted by users of Photoshop CC, not CS. HOWEVER, in one discussion, I noticed a remark by someone that made scales drop from my eyes, so to speak. I paste the comments below:

Indeed. It [someone's blending modes not working, in P.S. CC] could be a layer compositing bug [as you say]. That happens, although not very often. ... But most often, it's the user's expectations. A blend mode is the interaction between two layers. It's not a property of a single layer. In other words, it's not a thing, it's a relationship.

It was at that moment, on reading the last sentence, that the truth dawned upon me. As I told you in my reply of April 27, I had been routinely "blinding out" the background layer. I did this to avoid confusion, and this was because of something that happened a few months ago and which need not be entered into. However, it was creating the very conditions that made it impossible for Blending Modes to work! The idea of a "relationship" (between two layers) alerted me to this. When you read my reply of 27 April, you overlooked a crucial bit of information.

Well, it has been a merry dance, to be sure, but all is well with Photoshop now, in every way. My Photoshop CS6 is running properly (even the Blending Modes), and is also properly validated. It has taken about two months for all the dust to settle. My sincere thanks, to everyone that have contributed to this thread.
C.H.

Ah! Yes, that is why I asked for a simple example file (psd). Obviously blending layers requires 2 layers with the top one blending into the lower one.

So it was down to 'operator error', as they say ;-)

Happy to see that you figured it all out in the end. Have fun photoshopping.

Last edited:
Reactions: Melbourne Park

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Can you not offer any comment on what happened,and what prevented me from trying what you suggested?
Yes, sorry, I wasn't able to be online here in the MR forum since you've been asking.

I'm glad that Photoshop CS6 finally seems to work for you.

If Photoshop CS6 doesn't complain about Java, you probably won't need to install it or satisfy PS CS6 by setting up some empty folders. It's absolutely possible, that just other CS6 apps like Adobe InDesign will ask for Java. There is no need to follow the procedure, if Photoshop CS6 works fine without asking for Java.

Anyway, if your Terminal won't accept your admin password, that's something you should resolve. I recommend to make a simple test with a simple Terminal command that usually won't need admin privileges, like this:
Bash:
sudo ls -al /
If you paste the command into your Terminal window, your bash should ask for your admin password. If you type it correctly and press enter, the command should output your directory listing of your root folder. If the command doesn't output anything or if bash is asking again for your password, it should not happen and would need some more investigation what's going on.

Running your system permanently without SIP doesn't make much sense for me. Freedom to modify system folders isn't usually needed all the time. Better use the freedom to protect yourself. Why are you doing this? To check the SIP status, you can type into Terminal:
Bash:
csrutil status
Does it really output System Integrity Protection status: disabled.?

Last edited:

SkweeBop

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2024
This is a big reason why I've kept my old MBP 2015 at High Sierra (even though I have access to Adobe apps from work).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.