Is my Powermac G5 dying? Kernel Panic, Blue Screen, Black Screen, FSCK, DiskWarrior..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jonasmac, Jun 3, 2007.

1. jonasmac macrumors member

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice. I've been all over the Internet looking for answers.

Last night I was surfing the web and doing some CS3 work, when my Powermac G5 dual 2.0Ghz grayed out with a kernel panic. I restarted the system and none my apps would work longer than 2 min. After a couple more restarts, none of my apps would start. After another restart, I just got a hanging blue screen after login.

I unhooked peripherals, and I thought it might be ram, so I tested out different configurations, but I still got the same error. I then thought it could be my hard drive failing (original 160gb). After trying disk utility and fsck -fy, the drive still didn't want to boot, so I purchased Disk Warrior. I threw in my old 80gb with OSX installed, and ran it through the DW rebuild/replace. I was able to view the files in the 160gb, so I backed it up. Even after this, I couldn't get my 160gb to start up...just the login screen, then blue screen. I also reset PRAM, but no go.

Then the next time I tried to boot using my 80gb, the same thing happened --BSOD! Now I have two drives that don't boot, but I can verify these disks without issue in Disk Utility and run through Target Disk Mode, and DiskWarrior replace/rebuild.

HOWEVER, when I tried to archive/install Tiger on the 80gb, it eventually times out and asks me to try again (3x's now). I even tried erase/install and it still doesn't work. I can boot using the Tiger install cd's, and through Target disk mode. I don't have the hardware/original disks that came with it.

I haven't tried to reinstall on my main 160gb yet.....any thoughts before I do? I'm hoping I just have two bad HDD's instead of a more expensive hardware issue.

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for any help!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Don't reinstall the OS yet because by the looks of things it won't work. Can you get your hands on the original discs, because running the Apple Hardware Test might give us some clue as to what's failing. Hopefully it's just a dodgy drive cable or something. :)