Is my printer compatible with Airport Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by OldManJimbo, Aug 5, 2007.

1. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

A search through this forum hasn't found an answer - so, here goes:

I want to know if my Epson CX4200 All-in-One printer will work wirelessly through an Apple Airport Express?

The printer works well when directed connected to the Mac via USB, but I can't see how to know if it will work when connected through the Express.

Latest version of the Express, latest 10.4.XX OS.

2. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

OK - that's hardly an exhaustive list. One would think there would be a place on Apple.com that would list these. Oh well -

3. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

In general, All-in-One printers require direct USB connections for everything but printing. If your definition of "will work" includes scanning, you're out of luck. If printing is enough on the other hand, it will work*.

*) Provided success stories found through Google can be trusted, that is. No personal experience with that particular printer :)

4. skybolt macrumors 6502a

iTickings is right. The printer should work wirelessly, but the scanner function probably will not. I do know Brother makes some AIO's that seem to indicate that they will perform all functions wirelessly (as denoted by the W at the end of the model number), but the Brother I had was too old for that.

5. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

OK - I am fine with having just the printing function happen through the Airport Express. If/when I need to scan, I can walk over to the printer and connect it to the Mac. THANKS for the advice.