Is my ram OK on my new rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacChinoNyc, Dec 25, 2012.

1. MacChinoNyc, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012

MacChinoNyc macrumors 6502

I just started using my new rMBP and I got the 15inch 8gb ram base model, and already its down to 4.4gb ram free and i havent installed anything yet or running any thing that would take up that much memory. I just want to make sure I wont run into issues soon. Later on I will probably use photo and video editing software. So not sure if I should return this to the apple store and upgrade the ram to avoid future headaches? Is that possible? Would you recommend it? Does apple give you problems for trying to do this in the first 2 week period?

2. noiseordinance macrumors regular

I went with 16 on mine. I feel 8 is the current standard, and I'd like to have good usability / resale when tomorrows standards occur.

3. Valkyre macrumors 6502

you mean you are left with 4.4 gb free ram with the machine running no applications? From a fresh boot ?

Check your inactive ram using the activity monitor. Both inactive and free ram are actually the one and the same. Free and available ram.

From a fresh boot my system has 6.2 ram free. More than enough and i am working heavily with cinema 4d.

4. nill1234, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012

nill1234 macrumors member

8gb. I've chosen the acpp over the extra ram. And i got it for 1850 bucks :).
    On my main PC i have 8GB and never ever got over 6GB. On this machine i often play heavy games and lots of browser activity and also programming android on a virtual device.
    If you are a professional photoshop user, maybe then you should consider buying 16gb of ram.

5. MacChinoNyc thread starter macrumors 6502

From a fresh reboot , you mean restarting the macbook and not selecting open windows on reboot option you get?

Also is there any app to tell you exactly what's taking up so much memory? I was using Google cchrome .

6. G15 macrumors member

Complete Base with 8GB RAM.

The price was just to good to say no!

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

8. MacChinoNyc thread starter macrumors 6502

So any recommendations on tools to use to monitor performance? Kill processes using up most ram?

I'm no professional photographer/video editor but when to worry that ram is an issue. All I did was install chrome and watch some YouTube videos.

9. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I think 8GB is fine for most people. And I chose it to save a bit of money since I didn't order from Apple. You do get a bit of a shock when you first start up and notice there is a lot of ram in use but the basic functions do use a lot of ram. But using other apps has never brought me much over 5GB in use and I never have any page outs.

10. Ploki macrumors 68020

You're safe. Also, the swap is on a fast 500mb/s SSD... so its not as bad as on a HDD.

11. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

i was in the same boat with you until this past Monday. I returned my base 15" rMBP and bought a 15" rMBP with the 2.6/16GB of RAM. I went with the 2.6 only because I could afford the upgrade. Working with 8GB was not working for me. I use Aperture and AutoCAD so both were using all the RAM (not running at the same, just when I was using them) if you still have time in your 14 days take yours back and get the 16GB...you'll be at ease. T

12. MacChinoNyc thread starter macrumors 6502

Did you purchase from the Apple store? Did they give you a hard time? How long did it take for the new one to arrive?

I still have until next week to decide so I will be testing with more apps but I may upgrade just because I like the machine more than I thought I would.

13. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

i did buy from my local Apple store. They have no issues with you returning within the 14 days. i returned my base model along with a 64Gb iPad 4 to upgrade to my new rMBP, so there are no issues in returning.

I sat with the base model for many hours running all sorts of apps and what not. the 8Gb of RAM was enough until i started photo editing and had almost 6Gb of page outs within 20 minutes.

if you can return and upgrade. BTW: i returned it on Friday Dec 21 and the new one arrived Monday Dec 24th. at the time Apple was running a free Next Day air mail but it normally takes about 2 to 5 days...WELL WORTH THE WAIT. Good luck!!!!