Is my site causing loading issues?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by geolej, Jun 7, 2010.

1. geolej macrumors newbie

http://www.upblox.com

People have told me the images load really slowly/ cause browser lag.

Any opinions of the site itself would be appreciated!

2. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I'd say it loads far too many images on 1 page. Have you considered pagination?

/Doug

3. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Glancing at your source, I see a lot of jQuery being used to display the photos with effects, and even some PHP generated images. I also noticed a few images around 100k in file size. Put all this together, combined with the fact there are alot of images on one page as the previous respondent pointed out, your site will not load incredibly fast.

Be sure to optimize all images, this means compress them as much as possible before losing clarity using a decent photo editing tool. Display thumbnails whenever possible, and then use the cool jQuery tools to expand the full size image with the cool effects only when selected. I can't tell what the PHP script is doing, but if its not necessary, don't use it, or cache your images.

-jim

4. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

I recommend installing page speed for fire bug. Your score is a 73/100 is 750k... Pretty big. Safari has some decent tools too in the developer kit, but the googles knows all.

5. geolej thread starter macrumors newbie

The images are loaded from cache, where all of them have been thumbnailed to x by 500 pixels. I played with the value, such as changing the quality of the conversion but setting the quality to 50% doesn't affect the filesize that much, and hurts the look of the image.

6. geolej thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, so apperantly google chrome lied. there was a ~50% saving when i set quality to 60%. see how that loads for you guys, thanks!

7. geolej thread starter macrumors newbie

did a major redesign of the site, loads are far better and nicely organized

8. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Big improvement imho

Could use a cursor change over the lots of the links to indicate they are clickable though.

Also, the 'Load more' text isn't clickable - I think it should be. It's also off centre.

/Doug