Is my superdrive dead?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlitzWater, Aug 7, 2009.

1. BlitzWater macrumors newbie

So I'm new to having a mac and just bought my Macbook Pro Unibody 15 inch a few weeks ago. I'm having a problem with my superdrive. It won't insert a disc I put in, as if it was dead. When I turn the computer on, it doesn't make the spool up noise as usual. I've only used it a few times and burned a few cd-r's. It seems that it went down hill after the new update for 10.5.8.

I have also checked my system profiler and it says that the "ATA This system does not contain any ATA devices. If you have any ATA devices installed, please check that they are connected and powered on."

And for "Disc burning No burning device was found. If you are using an external device please make sure that it is connected and powered properly."

The big issue is my superdrive practically rendered useless and I can't reinstall the os if it's software related. I have tried smc reset and that didn't work.

If someone can help please. I have purchased this computer from best buy with accidental warranty plan. I'd like to know if this is software related or hardware. Thanks!

2. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Sounds dead to me. The connection might have came loose inside. But it sounds dead. Take it in for sure.

3. BlitzWater thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks for the fast response! I'll take it in on sunday.

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It sounds like your SuperDrive isn't receiving any power. Since your machine is well within warranty, take it in to your nearest authorized service provider for a diagnostic and repair.

5. machspeed5 macrumors member

sounds like a hardware issue, either its not properly connected or its malfunctioning.