Is my Superdrive dying in pain?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RX64MACBOOKPRO, May 23, 2009.

1. RX64MACBOOKPRO macrumors member

RX64MACBOOKPRO

Out of all the Superdrives I used on previous MBPS (Matshita & LG) with no problems at all, this particulary one (Matshita UJ-868) has been giving me crap:

I noticed that my SuperDrive makes dying noises when being used whether on startup or inserting/ ejecting a dvd. This is abnormal from a normal operation of a Matshita drive.

lately, my dvd burns turn out to be bad burns - tried burning on the lowest speeds - didn't work! Resetting the pram & smc didn't work. Reinstalling Mac OS X didn't work. Apple Hardware Test found no problems. I have yet to try TechTool Deluxe.

I heard Apple ships some bad batches of Matshita UJ-868 SuperDrives which resulted in bad burns for your DVD+DL and it takes the luck of the draw to get a problem free one!

I'm still within my 30 day Apple store policy....thats what the store manager say (orange shirt)

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

did you get it from a best buy? because i think apple's is 14 days.

3. RX64MACBOOKPRO thread starter macrumors member

RX64MACBOOKPRO

well I asked the store manager (orange shirt) and its 14 days to return it for a refund and 30 days for doa - it came from his mouth

its up to the store manager (orange shirt) or genius bar to decide to replace it/ exchange it...

the 30 day policy work for me before when I had issues because the store manager was nice and friendly BUT it depends who you talk to...

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

huh good to know.

as for your problem it sounds like you got a lemon for sure. i mean you tried everything that you could.

5. RX64MACBOOKPRO thread starter macrumors member

RX64MACBOOKPRO

well I do have the right to get it exchange since its a lemon...plus it has that annoying gap issue!

I just need to run TechTool Deluxe to see if it can find any problems...

does anyone know how can I can get this 'lemon' exchange w/o paying the restocking fee (apple store people will pull this fast one)?

Many would thought the unibody design would fix issues like warping or have improve quality control....well its still the same

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

well you said the manager was a friendly guy so just say in a nice and friendly but firm way that you dont want to pay the restocking fee.