Is my trackpad defect?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mortenjensen, Jun 19, 2012.

1. mortenjensen macrumors regular

Hi all

I am encountering an irritating problem on my three months old 15'' MBP. It is as if the trackpad does not work as it should in the corners. I cannot click and in the lower right or left corners and drag windows etc.

My right/secondary-click is normally set to tap with two fingers. If I set right click to either of the corners, the right-click does not work at all.

Is this a typical defect?

It feels as if it is a mechanical problem.

Apple has promished to look at it under the warranty. However, I will have to live without it for 10 working days which is next to impossible.

So, I just wanted to hear, if any of you would know what this could be.

Thx
    Morten

2. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Yes it`s likely a mechanical issue, I believe the trackpad is adjustable, in the interim simply turn on "Tap to Click" you then wont need the "mechanical" switch to use the machine

3. mortenjensen thread starter macrumors regular

I think there is a need for clicking (not tapping = light tapping; my mac is in Danish, so I don't have the English equivalents).

You can choose things by tapping - but if you want to drag things, you need to click and move the cursor.

Makes sense?

So every time I need to drag, I must be careful to click in the middle of the pad to get the mac to choose the item.

Morten

4. mortenjensen thread starter macrumors regular

And just to clarify myself:
    - if I click right in the middle, the pad works as it should. I click with the thumb and drag with one of the fingers.
    - if I click in either of the lower right or left side of the pad, nothing happens.

Is this normal or faulty?

Morten

5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Faulty, the pad should click/respond in the lower L&R corners

6. Croneberg macrumors newbie

I have a similar problem with my trackpad on a unibody Macbook Pro 13 2009. My "click" responds only when I'm pressing down really strong. The reason seems to be that there is some dirt right under the trackpad. You can open you Macbook and remove the battery to get under the trackpad an fix it (try to google "click not responding macbook pro unibody trackpad" for further informations).

I however just turned on a setting found unter the System Preferences -> Trackpad -> Point and Click ->Three Finger Drag! This allows you to drag things using a three finger drag gesture. I think it's actually more comfortable than using the click to drag. ;)

I hope I could help.

Edit: I just saw that you macbook is only three years old! Just go into an Apple Store or some Service Partner and ask them for help!

7. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Sounds like the defect I had on my 13" Alu Macbook. Get it fixed, it's a defect. If they deny the repair saying it's 'in-spec' (they said mine was, even though 3 out of 10 clicks did not register), insist it be repaired and show them how the demo models work.