Is my trackpad defective?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by KillerTree, Dec 25, 2011.

1. KillerTree macrumors regular

I can click by putting light pressure but not actually "clicking" the trackpad. It's causing some weird things to happen.

2. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I set mine as yours - TAP, but works both ways. Tap or Hard Click.

3. KillerTree thread starter macrumors regular

No it's not set to tap. You need a bit more pressure than a normal tap but it's still not a hard click.

4. tecknik1 macrumors member

My 2001 MBA was acting strange when moving around the cursor sometimes even highlighted lines and the whole page. I called service many times , reinstalled Lion 2x before Apple told me I had a defective TrackPad and to take it into an Authorized Service Center which is not so common in HCM Vietnam. 1 week later I got my Air back and seems to work for now.

So yes a defective TrackPad can happen.

5. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

2001? Mba?

----------

OP, why don't take a look to a MBA (or, for the case is the same, a MBP) in some store? And simply check against yours. Check the pressure you have to apply and the clicking feel.
    Have a close look at yours. Check for some minimum obtrusion you can have, for instance a piece of cookie, etc. Eventually use a bottle of compressed air all way around. I got something removed from underneath my keyboard that way. I used to borrow my kids my laptop...

6. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Let me ask you something, OP or other posters. I often have my MBA on SLEEP. I only RESTART or SHUT DOWN when there are updates. I noticed, however, when the MBA is on SLEEP a good amount of time, the pinch to zoom stops working unless I RESTART or SHUTDOWN.

I figure since this is a TRACKPAD issue (hope OP does not mind), was wondering if OP or any of you encounter this?

7. tecknik1 macrumors member

Sorry 2011 MBA.