Is my video card causing this problem??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by higgalls, Mar 22, 2009.

1. higgalls macrumors regular

Hey,

I have been noticing some problems lately with the graphics on my Macbook Pro (first one with multitouch).

Basically, sometimes when I scroll in web pages, the screen isn't rendered properly (lines will be broken or missing). I know that it isn't the web browser, because it happens in both Firefox and Safari 4 Beta (although I noticed tonight in Safari 4 Beta that it was heaps worse than it has been, especially running on battery power - 64% battery left), and if I scroll the page down and then back up again, it will come back (or if I switch to another app and then back to the web browser, it will be fixed). You can check out what it looks like in this pic (sorry - had to take it with a digital camera): www.higgalls.com/IMG_1271.jpg

Also, I have been playing a game called Lux the past couple of days, and I have noticed when it is doing things, there will be random black boxes that will flash up all over the window of the app, and then disappear.

Also, sometimes when scrolling through some finder windows it will jitter (again... massively worse when on battery power).

I know that there are problems with graphics chips used in my model, and so I was wondering whether this is the graphics chip dieing.

Are there any other tests I can do to test the graphics card to confirm it?

Most of the time it is fine and I can live with it, but I don't think this should be happening.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Chris :)

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It's not something obvious so it could be software related. I recommend that you do a Archive and Install without preserving user settings/folders or back up all your data and then perform an Erase and Install. Once that's done and the problem still persists, then you can go to an Apple Store and have it checked out.

Before you do a reinstall, try working in a new user and see if it happens there (probably will) but you might save yourself some time if you find it doesn't happen in the new user.

3. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

Personally I would not re-install leopard unless its a last resort and you absolutely cannot stand the problem. I think it might be a known driver issue but I have not noticed it on my unibody while others have. Does it do it in high performance and better battery life modes?

ha sorry just read the rest of your post. No idea.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Driver/firmware could be the problem by highly doubtful. The thing I love about Mac's is that everybody for the most part is running the same drivers/firmware, no one is running different hardware and I don't think a lot of people are having that issue and if they are, it seems to be isolated - to the video card. Again, run it in another user and if the problem occurs there, it's chances are it's a hardware issue (but before the Apple Store or AppleCare does anything, they will tell you to do a reinstall, that's why I mentioned it.)

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i agree. but it sounds like just creating a new user isnt going to fix this problem. i had a friend with a similar problem and we ended up having to do an erase and install in order to fix it. good luck tho