Is my visual palate not sophisticated enough? (handbrake question)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FiremanMike, Jul 4, 2012.

1. FiremanMike macrumors regular

I've read a bit about the different processing, and I'm aware that "high profile" should be a better video quality, but I simply cannot see a difference between the various modes when watching these videos on my MBP.

High profile takes twice as long and produces files that are twice as large (although still relatively small), but the video quality is quite difficult for me to differentiate.

Is this everyone else's experience as well?

2. 7even macrumors 6502a

What sorts of videos are you comparing? Try encoding an action movie with scenes containing quick movements and compare the modes then, or compare dark scenes... That's usually where the lower quality encodings show any problems :)

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

agreed i rip all my DVDs using standard profile the output is usually 900MB to 1.6GB and on my MBP and ATV it looks like DVD quality

4. brentsg macrumors 68040

It is going to be easier to see on a larger display.

5. FiremanMike thread starter macrumors regular

So then, if I only plan on watching these videos on my MacBook or iPad, go back to normal?

6. brentsg macrumors 68040

If you can't see the difference then the extra file size is just wasted. Now, if you decide to use the files with a large TV later you may need to re-encode.

7. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

You'll notice it on a larger display. If you just watch the videos on small screens then it probably won't matter. But put high vs. standard profile on a 55" or bigger and you'll definitely notice.