Is my WD drive bad, or is this normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by carrieann, Jun 30, 2010.

1. carrieann macrumors member

carrieann

I just bought a new Western Digital 750GB laptop drive for my 13" macbook pro. I have a transcend external enclosure, to hook it up as an external via usb, and I had planned on using CCC to clone my existing 250gb to the new drive, and then swapping them.

However, at first plugging the drive in, my MBP didn't see it at all. The lights came on, and the drive sounded like it started... but it didn't appear in disk utility. I unscrewed it from the enclosure, and then re-attached everything, and the 2nd time around, this time my MBP saw the drive. So it's possible (I guess) that something wasn't fully connected in the enclosure.

My first action was to open disk utility and try to partition the drive. But when I chose the "1 partition" route, I got an error when it attempted to unmount the drive, and wouldn't let me continue. So I then opted to "erase" the drive, and it did that no problem. Then I did a "verify" on the disk, and it again reported no problem. So just for giggles, I then attempted to "partition" the drive again, and voila, same error.

So I just want to make sure there is nothing wrong with the drive. Is this normal behavior, or is the error I get when trying to partition the drive a signal that something really is wrong? I did a test clone using CCC, and it looks like it worked beautifully. But now I'm nervous that if I swap it into my MBP, if something is wrong, I'll find out a few months down the road, and it will be harder to return to NewEgg than if I just returned it right now.

Anyone? Is this normal, or is there something wrong with my WD drive?

2. warrena macrumors member

warrena

Probably a USB power issue

Some 2.5" drives consume more power than a USB port will provide. I have some that appear to start up (in a USB case) but never appear on the screen or mount. I typically use a USB cable that has both a USB data and a power connection to provide more power to the drive. Also, some ports on the Macbook provide more power - the rear one I think, but not positive.

3. carrieann thread starter macrumors member

carrieann

partition error

That explains why it wouldn't show up at first... but what about the partition error? Would a power issue also cause that? Or should I just swap the drives and see how it goes once it's internal to the MBP? Anyone had a power issue with the WD 750gb drive?

4. warrena macrumors member

warrena

I would think that if you got a successful clone it should be OK. You can swap it but keep the original as a backup in case you have a problem. If you are concerned the clone or partition are not good, just reconnect and erase and clone again and if you do not get an error, it should be good. I would make sure you have a good USB cable and one with both power and data if possible. Both ends plug into both of the MAC USB ports to provide the extra power. I have to do this when cloning some 500GB drives due to spin up power. Once the drive spins up it typically uses less power and should be OK.