Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moto X

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2013
Google Chairman hints that Moto X will be a smartphone for the middle classes and so do tech enthousiasts that that see the phone lagging in CPU and display specs. However, Motorola CEO and engineers defend Moto X as a high end phone that focuses on total user experience with new software features rather than aiming at satisfying the spec nerds.

Any views on that??

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It's high-mid range !! ;)

mid range hardware - with extra bits customised making it closer to high end - and software wise it's as high end as you get with any flagship.

It's basically high end 2012....... just a shame in 4 months time we will be in 2014.......

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It's high-mid range !! ;)

mid range hardware - with extra bits customised making it closer to high end - and software wise it's as high end as you get with any flagship.

It's basically high end 2012....... just a shame in 4 months time we will be in 2014.......

this pretty much sums it up. On paper it may seem mid-range, but I think real world usage will say otherwise. Plus the added features actually look extremely useful.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
You guys when you have time check out the vector podcast with Brian plug of snatch, Rene richie from imore host it a me they discuss the Moto x.

Brian pretty much rips it says the processor is a rebranded older model and the "okay google now" feature is just a API inserted by google and afterwards its just google now.

It's a good listen so check it out.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
You guys when you have time check out the vector podcast with Brian plug of snatch, Rene richie from imore host it a me they discuss the Moto x.

Brian pretty much rips it says the processor is a rebranded older model and the "okay google now" feature is just a API inserted by google and afterwards its just google now.

It's a good listen so check it out.

that actually sounds promising in that fact it could easily be added to other phones. What does it really matter what the specs say if it runs flawlessly? All of the reviews have been positive in terms of speed and lag (none).

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I don't care where it's placed. This is one very fresh new smartphone.

If it gets the marketing campaign it deserves the Moto X will sell in substantial numbers.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
that actually sounds promising in that fact it could easily be added to other phones. What does it really matter what the specs say if it runs flawlessly? All of the reviews have been positive in terms of speed and lag (none).

Running on last years hardware will it be updated for 2 years and reviews are saying the camera is subpar and below the s4, one and iPhone.

Moto X

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2013
Moto X views

Google, wsj revealed, will spend $ 500mio on makreting the phone. Thats some hefty marketing budget to create a good perception on the phone and make it sell good.

From overall comments though I see people are sceptical about the innovative technology and effort on the phone....Will the power of Marketing be enough to make it fliy???

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Google, wsj revealed, will spend $ 500mio on makreting the phone. Thats some hefty marketing budget to create a good perception on the phone and make it sell good.

From overall comments though I see people are sceptical about the innovative technology and effort on the phone....Will the power of Marketing be enough to make it fliy???

I think the specs are mid-range, but I see it being successful as it is a pretty good phone.

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
Everyone see's this as a mid-range phone because of it hardware. I read an interview with one of Motorola's engineers and he mentioned that the quad-core processors samsung and htc are using are last years processors. But what i'm really interested on is Motorola's X8 8 core computing system. It has the dual core main processor, 4 core gpu, one for voice commands and one for the sensors.

Here's Motorola's page on the X8
http://www.motorola.com/us/consumer...stem/x8-mobile-computing-system,en_US,pd.html

Here's the interview if you want to read the rest of it
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/0...isplay-calls-lcd-inferior-to-amoled-and-more/

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
Motorola CEO and engineers defend Moto X as a high end phone that focuses on total user experience with new software features rather than aiming at satisfying the spec nerds.

Any views on that??

I'm happy Motorola aren't catering to the spec nerds that argue over processor speeds and screen ppi. Those types are an uneducated trollish plague upon the tech world that need to be eradicated.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
it has krait 300 CPU cores while last years snapdragon s4pro (nexus 4 2012) has krait 200 cores.

sure, it's still midrange, but it does have some 'newer' tech.

another way of looking at it is as a lower clocked (i believe) snapdragon 600 (gs4, htc one) except dual core and lower grade ram

the naming schemes of qualcomms chips are confusing (to be fair it seems no other vendors aside from moto are using this version of the s4pro)

Last edited:

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Sounds like a high-end experience on mid-range specs. So I guess you could classify it as either depending on your selling points.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Personally, I think the Moto-X should have been Nexus 5.

Why Google insists on treating Motorola like a red headed step child I don't know.

Yeah, all Google wanted Motorola for was patents. Well that plan sank, and now Google is a hardware company whether they like it or not.

Time to start playing the part.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
If it runs everything on the app store smoothly and delivers a good experience it doesn't matter. The spec junkies are starting to grind my gears.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Personally, I think the Moto-X should have been Nexus 5.

Why Google insists on treating Motorola like a red headed step child I don't know.

Yeah, all Google wanted Motorola for was patents. Well that plan sank, and now Google is a hardware company whether they like it or not.

Time to start playing the part.

Motorola is also going to make the Nexus 5

Moto X

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2013
The debate goes on. I think indeed, as the consumer is the final judge, that they will decide if it is a high end or mid range phone.

Anyone knows about any new accessories, apps etc of the phone??

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
At&t has a 6 month exclusive on Moto maker in 6 months this phone is going to be old and sure it flies on jelly bean how will it handle future updates like KLP.
If I was to buy a phone today I would have to get some future proof specs.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Everyone see's this as a mid-range phone because of it hardware. I read an interview with one of Motorola's engineers and he mentioned that the quad-core processors samsung and htc are using are last years processors. But what i'm really interested on is Motorola's X8 8 core computing system. It has the dual core main processor, 4 core gpu, one for voice commands and one for the sensors.

Here's Motorola's page on the X8
http://www.motorola.com/us/consumer...stem/x8-mobile-computing-system,en_US,pd.html

Here's the interview if you want to read the rest of it
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/0...isplay-calls-lcd-inferior-to-amoled-and-more/

I didn't read those articles but I had read the same thing. The CPU clock speed may not be high-end, but by offloading some functions to other cores they can get high-end performance.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Spec-wise mid-range, price-wise high-range.

I personally wouldn't purchase it. Even the S4 is a much better choice, let alone the LG G2 (if the latter indeed delivers) - for the same price.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Spec-wise mid-range, price-wise high-range.

I personally wouldn't purchase it. Even the S4 is a much better choice, let alone the LG G2 (if the latter indeed delivers) - for the same price.

I think the specs are ok. If the battery life is very good, it would be real good but i dont like the price and that i have to buy it from their website for t Mobile.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
definitely mid ranged with a "premium" quality build. Everything on the device itself i mediocre. The prime example being the craptastic 10mp camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.