Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I don't think anyone knows yet whether it's socketed, what nuances there are with the retention mechanism, whether it has a lid (IHS), etc.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Simple Question. Is it (E5 CPU) on socket?

It is probably far more a question of how hard it is to get to the socket than whether it is socketed or not. Intel doesn't make non socketed Xeon E5. All photographic indications are that you'll have to almost have to completely disassemble the Mac Pro to get to it. The socket is buried in almost the middle of the machine under multiple layers.

d-m-a-x

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
It is probably far more a question of how hard it is to get to the socket than whether it is socketed or not. Intel doesn't make non socketed Xeon E5. All photographic indications are that you'll have to almost have to completely disassemble the Mac Pro to get to it. The socket is buried in almost the middle of the machine under multiple layers.

Hopefully there is not glue involved. The word from Mac Mall is that they are replaceable

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Hopefully there is not glue involved. The word from Mac Mall is that they are replaceable

Pragmatically, there is because probably going to need thermal paste to couple the processor to the heatsink. Super-duper sticky glue? No. But do need coupling between two components.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
I would imagine it is socketed, however, as others have mentioned, the replacement itself is far from trivial.

d-m-a-x

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
I don't know what drugs you're on, but I would sure like to try them. :D

No drugs, at least not since the 90's. I was just wondering what would happen if you gave Deconstruct some bad data, like does not compute

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Pict attached.

Lou

Attachments

• cpu-131227.jpg
    cpu-131227.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 150

Stingray454

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
Pict attached.

Very interesting, where is this image from?

Also, someone mentioned in another thread (can't find it now, sadly) that the next Xeon version would have a different socket, so even if it's socketed now, we'd have to change the entire board to fit the next generation processor.

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003

Also, someone mentioned in another thread (can't find it now, sadly) that the next Xeon version would have a different socket, so even if it's socketed now, we'd have to change the entire board to fit the next generation processor.

So.. Apple is supposed to put in a spare socket for a new architecture that isn't shipping yet, so people can upgrade their CPUs?

Stingray454

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
So.. Apple is supposed to put in a spare socket for a new architecture that isn't shipping yet, so people can upgrade their CPUs?

Of course not :). I'm just saying that previous Mac Pros were able to replace the CPU for several years after launch as it had the same socket. Now, a new socket is scheduled to arrive together with the next generation of Xeons in 2014. So even if we can swap the CPU from say the current 4-core to the current 12-core, we won't be able to upgrade when new Xeons arrive next year or so, which is a bit of a bummer. But no, there's really nothing Apple could have done about that anyway, I'm just saying it's bad timing.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
Of course not :). I'm just saying that previous Mac Pros were able to replace the CPU for several years after launch as it had the same socket. Now, a new socket is scheduled to arrive together with the next generation of Xeons in 2014. So even if we can swap the CPU from say the current 4-core to the current 12-core, we won't be able to upgrade when new Xeons arrive next year or so, which is a bit of a bummer. But no, there's really nothing Apple could have done about that anyway, I'm just saying it's bad timing.

You could just buy a PC and then replace the motherboard yourself :)

Stingray454

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
You could just buy a PC and then replace the motherboard yourself :)

Assuming that Apple will release an updated nMP when the next CPU generation is released, you can probably do the same in the mac - I suspect it's possible to change the main board on the Pro too, the question is just if apple will sell these separately and how much they will cost. Personally, I'm more interested in GPU power than CPU anyway, so I recon the current lineup would last me for a few years.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
Assuming that Apple will release an updated nMP when the next CPU generation is released, you can probably do the same in the mac - I suspect it's possible to change the main board on the Pro too, the question is just if apple will sell these separately and how much they will cost. Personally, I'm more interested in GPU power than CPU anyway, so I recon the current lineup would last me for a few years.

Looks like it isn't totally impossible to take the thing apart. I'm sure you'll be able to buy upgraded nMP boards when the new iTubes come out, Apple usually charges insane premiums for replacement parts though.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity

not that big of a deal.. there doesn't appear to be anything on the cpu board other what's required by the cpu..

this ain't your mother's motherboard ;)

(whether or not apple will allow it is another story altogether but i suspect they will.. it'll keep the enthusiasts/hobbyist happy at least)

----------

Looks like it isn't totally impossible to take the thing apart.

weird.. i've been trying to tell you that for 6 months now.. glad you're finally starting to come around :)

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
weird.. i've been trying to tell you that for 6 months now.. glad you're finally starting to come around :)

Can you find my post where I said it was? Have you been arguing with your own straw man for 6 months?

I just said it was going to be totally unlikely 3rd party upgrades for GPUs would ever come around and that Apple would provide upgrade kits for GPU.

As pessimistic as I was about that, I think it is absolutely a pipe dream that they'll offer replacement motherboards in anything but an OEM replacement part form. So the short answer to OP's question is : you may be able to upgrade the processor in the nMP, but only to one of the same socket. Replacing the motherboard to use Intel's new sockets will likely require a prohibitively expensive replacement board and will rely on Apple releasing a new revision of the nMP.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I highly doubt Apple will not void its coverage if their CPU is replaced

No need to beat around the bush: The CPU is upgradable... today via our friends at OWC.

http://blog.macsales.com/

Besides the high price of any such OWC replacement, the shipping in both directions (only reasonable if the user is in the USA anyway) and all the rest, I highly doubt that any such change will not void Apple's coverage.:confused:
So, if some courageous person doesn't care for that "little detail" of voiding his Apple's coverage ...and has been blessed by a reach uncle's heritage, go ahead and keep us informed please!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.