Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cupra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
London, UK
I have put up with it for months now and its really annoying

once you jailbreak and have winterboard the 2 main causes of this problem everything comes to a standstill...

when you close apps (press home button) it takes 5 seconds to actually do something then eventually just hides the app (no fade away animation)

its really annoying and i was wondering what can be done to resolve this?

i only have winterboard and one small theme and also mobilesubstrate which i beleive is causing the issue..

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Buy a 3GS, which has enough RAM to handle everything and a processor that's about twice as fast. ;)

Seriously, I couldn't stand the lag when I used to jailbreak my old 3G. On my new 3GS, the slowdown is minimal - still there, but minimal. It's SO nice to be able to use custom themes again, just like back in my 1.X firmware days. :)

Cupra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
London, UK
so my spring board crashed today and went in to safe mode...

i am in love with the speed again! god damn it!

all i have is winderboard and the preferences app where you swipe up top.

so why is the phone so much slower :(

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan

3G or 3GS?

johndoe588

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2007
Upstate New York
I guess I've been lucky, or more likely my mind just moves too slowly to be affected by slowdowns. My 3GS has a tiny lag, mostly when launching things from Catagories folders. Nothing so bad I'd want to complain about. My first genereration phone was jailbroken, unlocked, themed, and had lots of apps in folders, and still any slowdown was barely noticeable. I know this is no help to you but I've always found the benefits of jailbreaking outweighed any problems.

John B.

mmulin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006

Get rid of WB and it will be faster. You don't need it for the preference app. Alternatively, get WB light - haven't tried it but reports point to a snappier performance. I don't have the link but the Google & this forum has the information (need to add a source to Cydia).

Personally, I don't use WB at all. It is like girls buying too many shoes..

loki007420

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2009
Detroit

once you jailbreak and have winterboard the 2 main causes of this problem everything comes to a standstill...

when you close apps (press home button) it takes 5 seconds to actually do something then eventually just hides the app (no fade away animation)

i only have winterboard and one small theme and also mobilesubstrate which i beleive is causing the issue..

Was your phone fast before the JB and winterborad? IF so maybe going back to stock will fix your issue..

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community

You can probably fix it, restore the phone and select Set up as new phone, re-JB with Redsnow .0.8 and UL with Ultrasn0w .0.9.1, then sync back your stuff

You will likely see a difference.

My 3G is fast, and no excessive battery drain, Push notifications work.

Cupra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
London, UK
Ok, so i disabled a few things and played around to see what could be causing said slowness and i think i have narrowed it down...

Im thinking its the lockinfo with gruppled theme etc...

which was the main reason i jailbroke (to get calendar stuff on homescreen)

i dont want to remove the only mod i regularily use.. any ideas?

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
Ok, so i disabled a few things and played around to see what could be causing said slowness and i think i have narrowed it down...

Im thinking its the lockinfo with gruppled theme etc...

which was the main reason i jailbroke (to get calendar stuff on homescreen)

i dont want to remove the only mod i regularily use.. any ideas?

Are you on a 3G or 3GS? If you're on a 3G, I feel your pain! I gave up on jailbreaking my 3G b/c even light loading resulted in SIGNIFICANT slow downs (despite the claims of many people on these forums.

Now I have a 3GS though, and it still affects it, but barely noticeable. I notice some transitions aren't as smooth as they used to be, but as far as app launching, etc. its not really a noticeable difference. And this is coming from a person who couldn't even stand the lagginess of a stock-unmodified 3g!

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Are you on a 3G or 3GS? If you're on a 3G, I feel your pain! I gave up on jailbreaking my 3G b/c even light loading resulted in SIGNIFICANT slow downs (despite the claims of many people on these forums.

Now I have a 3GS though, and it still affects it, but barely noticeable. I notice some transitions aren't as smooth as they used to be, but as far as app launching, etc. its not really a noticeable difference. And this is coming from a person who couldn't even stand the lagginess of a stock-unmodified 3g!

Totally agree. The lag of a stock 3G bugged me endlessly too. The 3GS solved everything, and finally gave me enough horsepower to be comfortable jailbreaking my phone.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Winterboard never really slowed down my 3g until i got my 3gs but maybe thats just in my head cuz the 3gs was so fast :/

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
I'll do something for you, I'll help you make a decision. Is it really worth the slow down just so your screen looks a little different then stock? If no, then get rid of the JB. If yes, then stop complaining about the speed, because you chose minor cosmetic issues instead.

IMO, jailbreaking for the sole fact of modifying your screen (Winterboard) is extremely pointless and not worth the extra stress on the CPU and battery life. If your going to JB, do something worthwhile with it. Thats just my opinion though.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
I'll do something for you, I'll help you make a decision. Is it really worth the slow down just so your screen looks a little different then stock? If no, then get rid of the JB. If yes, then stop complaining about the speed, because you chose minor cosmetic issues instead.

IMO, jailbreaking for the sole fact of modifying your screen (Winterboard) is extremely pointless and not worth the extra stress on the CPU and battery life. If your going to JB, do something worthwhile with it. Thats just my opinion though.
There are a lot of people who jailbreak solely for using winterboard, however I agree that its not worth the extra tasks your cpu has to handle

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I jailbroke my 3GS and still didn't install Winterboard because I don't want any slowdown (even small) or any reliability compromises just to get a different looking screen. I installed a lot of other J/B apps, but not that one. Interested in functionality over form, by far.

egk69

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
I jailbroke my 3GS and still didn't install Winterboard because I don't want any slowdown (even small) or any reliability compromises just to get a different looking screen. I installed a lot of other J/B apps, but not that one. Interested in functionality over form, by far.

I have on my 3GS
-Winterboard
-5icondock
-reflectivedock
-fontswap
-Backgrounder
-mquickdo
-categories
-sbsettings
-3gunrestrictor
-yourtube
(those are the ones i think might slow the phone, the rest are just apps like flashlight that shouldnt slow the phone...)

and I dont feel it any slower than it was before jailbroken, even when running 2 or 3 apps in the "backgrounder" it is way fast than my UnJailbroken 3G. So i say Go for it, if you dont like it you can always restore...

People say the 3GS is fast and haves more memory, and it is when you jailbreak it that you can CLEARLY notice those statements are true!

To the OP:
And i have to add that the 3G do get slow with some of those mods and theres no solution that i know...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.