Is Norton a good anti-virus software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MXM, Jun 15, 2009.

1. MXM macrumors member

Hello,
    I have to start a new thread on this, but I think I'll probably need an anti-virus software for my Mac: who knows when the 1st virus will start targeting Mac and there is already trojan. Hence my question is, do any of you use Norton? I think it is the only one available from Apple Store. Please let me know if it's good, thanks!

2. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

No.

The general consensus is that Norton is a resource hog. If you feel you really need AV, try Clam AV, here:

http://www.clamav.net/

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I think your other thread was closed because this subject has been covered countless times, and if you search the forums (as is supposed to be done before starting a new thread) you'd have likely gotten your answer.....oh yeah!

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I second ClaimAV.

having anti virus software is a good thing, regardless if there is currently any vulnerabilities. However Norton will lead to more headaches then any virus could.

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

It isn't. You know what is good? Not worrying about things that don't exist.

6. MXM thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everybody! I've just migrated from Windows to Mac and always used Norton before. For Windows, the general view was not to use a free antivirus program as it may introduce virus or may report bogus virus info. If you all recommend clamAV, then I'll give it a try.
    By the way, is there a way to check if there's any trojan or spyware on my Mac?Thanks

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Windows users are always scared of downloading anything with all the viruses that affect them. The trojan removal tools I've seen have always been specific to a particular trojan. Existing trojans are easy to avoid, don't download pirated software, and use common sense.

Just a quick note, you'll want ClamXAV, rather than ClamAV, as that's the Windows version. Another free piece of software for Mac is iAntivirus, I prefer the Clam though.

8. MXM thread starter macrumors member

Thanks again for the reply. Does ClamXAV hog up a lot of CPU or other resource? I've seen some other threads saying it's hard to remove Norton once installed, how is ClamXAV?

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The best anti-virus is an intelligent end-user.

It helps that no viruses exist. Period. Zero. None. Please search before posting another thread.

11. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Thanks for the correction, angelwatt! :)
    Morod

12. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

ClamXAV does not pick up any threats on OS X. It's Windows only stuff.

iAntiVirus (free) can detect Mac threats (trojans and such.)

Common sense will work fine, though, since the only way to get a trojan on OS X is to actually install it and give it your admin password.

13. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

When it's actively running (like for a full system scan) it can hog the CPU a bit, but doesn't hog memory at least. Removal isn't bad at all in comparison to other similar software. I only run the system scan once a month. Mostly, I just have it monitor my Downloads folder for new items (this is the Sentry feature that it comes with) so I rarely notice it's installed except at those full scans.

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

While I do not feel that any Mac Anti Virus Software is necessary at this time, I can understand why some from the Windows world are skiddish and still want to install something. However, I would strongly suggest NOT using Norton on the Mac. Your experience may be positive with Norton on Windows, but the overwhelming consensus on the Mac is that it is a resource hog and will corrupt or at least slow down you system. Beyond that, once installed it is virtually impossible to rid yourself of all of its tentacles if you should choose to remove it.

ClamXav is good for scanning for Windows viruses that might get passed on to other users.

iAntiVirus is less necessary in my opinion, if you are vigilant with the use of your administrator's password and you don't invest your time in downloading questionable files.

The OP's original question was about Norton
    My advice, avoid it like it was a virus

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

15. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

That would be theorically. Actually, Clam is not very good at detecting malware.