Is Novak Djokovic a joke?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Frisco, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

How could he lose to easy a Brit who has been so easy to beat in the semis and quarter finals (Murray's history)? I guess Djokovic wasn't 100% today. I think Novak's last match wore him out. Otherwise he would have easily defeated Murray. Novak is #1 in the World.

I think his victory was a fluke.

Bad day for the tennis world.

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

He didn't lose to a Brit, he lost to a Scot. Or something like that, it all gets a bit tiresome really.

3. chown33 macrumors 604

Is that better or worse than losing to a blancmange?

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I couldn't say, I don't follow tennis...

5. Scepticalscribe, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, Novak Djokovic is, currently, No 1 in the world, and the reigning Australian Open champion. But, but, he had an extraordinarily difficult semi-final against Juan del Potro, (the longest in Wimbledon history, clocking in at over five and a half hours of incredibly intense and competitive tennis, and a match regarded by the cognoscenti - as well as former champions - as a timeless classic); despite his extraordinary levels of fitness, it was going to take him longer than a day to recover from such a draining (if exhilarating) ordeal.

And secondly, re And Murray: Bear in mind that Andy Murray is currently ranked No 2 in the world; he is the reigning Olympic Champion and the current holder of the US Open. Moreover, he had decided not to compete in the French Open - I suspect (the official excuse was the need to recover form an injury) - in order to give himself the time he needed in order to prepare fully for Wimbledon, a decision that has clearly been vindicated by today's result. In any case, I think the key change for Andy Murray came when he decided to appoint (or ask,) the extraordinary Ivan Lendl to become his coach over 18 months ago.

Besides, here, location was important, as Andy Murray was competing in Wimbledon, where, since his tears after the Wimbledon Final last year, (immediately after his defeat by Roger Federer), and, also, his subsequent victory in the Olympic Final (over the same opponent a month later) in the same venue, Wimbledon, making him the Olympic Gold medallist, (and reigning Champion) meant that the Wimbledon crowd were now going to be completely behind him. As both Roger Federer (last year's champion) and Rafa Nadal (the victor of the French Open) had been knocked out in earlier rounds, Andy Murray's path to the final was probably less draining than was Novak Djokavic's.

Actually, I think that the lesson of this year's games and matches (long and testing, and very demanding physically, mentally and psychologically), is that - given the ferocious fitness, endurance, athleticism and mental strength required of top ranked tennis players to win at the highest level - is that the days when the world's number one could credibly expect to hold several Grand Slam titles simultaneously may well be coming to a close.

While Novak Djokavic holds the Australian Open, it seems that both the French Open and Wimbledon were beyond him. Rafa Nadal (having won the French Open) was clearly in no fit condition to mount a serious challenge for Wimbledon. Juan del Potro (who had won the US Open in the recent past) was a terrifying and fantastic opponent in the semi-final, (against Novak Djokovic) and fought a ferocious semi-final last year, too.

In other words, the effort and energy expended to win a Grand Slam final may well make it difficult to sustain that effort over the year. The truth is that there is actually very little to differentiate between the top players - nobody bestrides the tennis world like a colossus the way Roger Federer used to in recent years; all of them are ferociously fit, dedicated, and utterly committed, but - even allowing for that - there are limits to what they can ask of their bodies on a daily basis. Thus, I suspect that it will not be possible to devote the same degree of attention and preparation to each Grand Slam in the way that used to be done.

6. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

Well put. I have nothing against Murray and it was nice to see him win on his home court. Just a little surprised by the outcome.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Most of the top players were knocked out the first 2 days of the tournament, how can you be surprised by this?

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Are you related to Djokovic? Murray won, deal with it.

9. rovex macrumors 65816

Alex sammond brandishing the saltire someone has to ruin the party.

10. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Djokovic got outplayed and beaten by an opponent who was better on the day. He's not a joke, just human.

11. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

I agree with MagicBoy. Besides that, I think Murray got better sice Lendl is coaching him.

12. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

The fact that anyone can win on any given day is what makes sports so fascinating. Sometimes the favorite wins and sometimes the underdog wins. As the saying goes, "that's why they play the game."

13. kolax macrumors G3

Can't argue with straight sets. Had it gone to 5 sets, you could say Djok was tiring, but Murray just outplayed him.

Anyway, the OP sounds like he doesn't understand sport at all with comments like that.

14. mumph macrumors regular

Scotland is part of Great Britain :p

Anyhoo... I do think Andy Murray gets a bit pee'd off at 'The English' claiming him as their own. I sure he's happy for the support but he's a proud Scotsman. :)

15. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Lol

I loved that episode of Monty P. I don't follow tennis but my boss does. She said it was a very weird Wimbleton (Federer and Nadal out so fast, so why not Novak?)...

16. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Are you sure? I think you may be getting it confused with the Isle of Wight.

17. mumph macrumors regular

Pretty sure hehe. The United Kingdom of Great Britain consists of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland but not Ireland (apparently they can't stand it when we leave the toilet seat up).

18. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Scotland may be part of Great Britain for now however we'll soon be independent and Murray is and always will be a Scot, never a Brit! :cool:

19. mumph macrumors regular

Can't argue with that.

20. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Has Djokovic ever featured in a comic though? I ask because it turns out Andy Murray is to feature in The Beano...

BO1PtpuCYAA8Wci.jpg

I don't know the plot but I'm willing to bet a shiny Pound (non-Scottish ;)) that the thwacking sounds coming from the court is either Dennis the Menace or Minnie the Minx getting a slipper to the behind after some comedy naughtiness.

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'm not sure that Novak Djokovic has ever featured on a comic, but the man actually is an excellent and very talented comic.

Having read a few profiles, I noted that a few had mentioned his skills of comedic timing and mimicry. In fact, he does very very funny send-ups of his colleagues (which can be seen on You Tube), mannerisms, accent, vocabulary, are all spot on, and, most astonishing, a very funny (and wickedly accurate) impression of how they play tennis; it is close observation and some sort of method acting at its best (and, because he is such an excellent player himself, he has an excellent understanding of their movement on court and how they actually hit the ball).

His send-ups of Nadal, Federer, John McEnroe and Lleyton Hewitt are excellent, but the best is the send up he does of Maria Sharapova, both as a tennis player (it is extremely funny) and an absolutely hilarious send-up (complete with blonde wig) of her doing an interview with an undemanding interviewer. Take a look at them.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, it does not. Great Britain is a geographical description. It is the larger of the two main British Isles, which contains England, Scotland and Wales. Ireland, including Northern Ireland, is the other ("Lesser" Britain). That is why the correct designation of the UK is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

See above: like it or not, Scotland, barring some tectonic calamity, will always be a part of Great Britain.

23. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

24. mumph macrumors regular

I was trying to keep it relatively simple about Northern Ireland but you are correct :p

Where are you from? You do know Scotland are trying hard to become independent dont you? I think (maybe I'm wrong) there is a referendum soon.

25. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Yes geographically, I never denied that however if any Scot calls themselves British or considers themselves to be part of Britain then they're not a true Scot in my opinion, calling yourself British is best left to the English and Welsh.