is now a good time to buy a MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harry0, Dec 11, 2007.

  1. harry0 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2007
    Location:
    Australia
    #1
    hey

    just noticed that in the last couple of days the buyers guide has changed from:

    Don't Buy - Updates soon to Buy - Product recently updated

    im stuck on whether or not to buy it now, as im going overseas to Europe on December 15, and if i take it overseas with me i get 10% off due to tax reasons (GST), as well as $300 AUD off because i am a student.

    are we expecting significant updates in January/February? enough to stop me buying one now and therefore not getting the 10% off (as ill buy it when i get back in 5 weeks time)

    any advice would be greatly appreciated,
    harry
     
  2. skuzzy macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2007
    Location:
    Cape Town, SA
    #2
    I asked the *exact* same question about 10 days ago. Use the search function next time before you ask.

    Link to my thread

    Cheerio
     
  3. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

    koobcamuk

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2006
    #3
    If you can wait a month, wait a month. If you need it today/tomorrow, buy one.
     
  4. djellison macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2007
    Location:
    Pasadena CA
    #4
    I was in that boat...I'd decided to wait for the Jan announcements to see what got announced, but I've changed my mind - I'm waiting MUCH longer to see if 10.5.2 or .3 fixes some of the bugs that are out there.

    Because I'm NOT giving apple £1600 to have a keyboard that might quit every now and again - it's simply not good enough.

    Doug
     
  5. netdog macrumors 603

    netdog

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #5
    Oh thank heavens for the search police.

    For goodness sake, a forum is like a freely flowing river. This sort of post comes up all the time and the repetition doesn't matter.

    If you can wait, there may very well be some advances that affect the MBP. Better iSights? Magnetic latches? Who knows? If you can wait, you probably should. It's only about a month away.
     
  6. mediumofmeaning macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2007
    Location:
    NJ
    #6
    I'll second that. The search is great for technical issues, specific information. But someone could have asked whether or not it was a good time 6 months ago or two weeks ago -- time matters. An old thread on a crashing app obviously serves the same utility at any point. This is a different story.
     
  7. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

    MACDRIVE

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2006
    Location:
    Clovis, California
    #7
    You might want to wait until the yellow screen issue is over with though. :cool:
     
  8. harry0 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2007
    Location:
    Australia
    #8
    thx guys.. its not really urgent, i dont need it until february when my semester starts, i was just gonna buy it now so i can take it overseas and save 10%

    im back from travelling on the 22nd of january, i think by then macworld is over?

    do they usually announce updates at macworld and then start selling them shortly after?
     
  9. Nakamura macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2007
    Location:
    Oxfordshire, England
    #9
    I think it is a good time, thats why I ordered mine last week. Apple upgraded the processors to 2.6GHz about 3 weeks ago. If you wait till after MacWorld there might be a change but I think the change will just be a Ultra thin MacBook, but that wont be as powerful as the MacBook Pro.
     
  10. harry0 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2007
    Location:
    Australia
    #10
    any rumours on a graphics upgrade? mayb an 8700M GT or even 8800M GTX

    :D
     
  11. Octobot macrumors regular

    Octobot

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2006
    Location:
    MPx12
    #11
    I just got my little MBP 2.6 last week..
    I really doubt there will be anything, if anything that will be sufficiently better at MWSF.

    So ya.. you can buy now.. ;)
     
  12. palmerized macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    Location:
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    #12
    Hmm. Hard one. I just got a MacBook Pro a couple of weeks ago. I'm of the mindset that there will *always* be something new, so get what you can now and be happy with it. And -- I'm very happy with my MBP. I have no issues with screen yellowing or quality. I love this thing. In fact, it may be pregnant.
     
  13. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    #13
    IMO, I would wait because I believe that the updates were just to hold people over til the holiday season was over.
     
  14. ctodd111 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2007
    #14
    Did your brand new MBP have any yellow screen issues or other problems as has been reported by others recently?
     
  15. Octobot macrumors regular

    Octobot

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2006
    Location:
    MPx12
    #15
    No.. not really.

    I checked for all the issues..
    My MBP is week# 48, LG screen. No visible yellow screen issue.

    There are a couple of bugs here and there, though I'm pretty sure all are caused by leopard not the hardware. For instance, once my MBP wouldn't wake from sleep..

    All in all, the computers healthy.


    And in regards to updates.. I'm sure sometime 1st quarter 2008 we will see an updated MBP w/ penryn inside.. meaning it will be a little faster and use less power among other things (maybe redesigned.)
    When it comes to needing the laptop to do work on.. there is no problem buying now as it won't be a huge difference when the next ones arrives IMO.
     
  16. Fafafoooey macrumors member

    Fafafoooey

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2007
    Location:
    USA
    #16
    I would wait till after Macworld, they might offer solid state drives on the MBP's, and that would be awesome for speed, just sucks for storage space, as the largest available is 32GB right now.
     
  17. Octobot macrumors regular

    Octobot

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2006
    Location:
    MPx12
    #17
    Well what would be the point to wait for that, if you could only use 32GB HD space? Unless all you wanted was the rumored ultra-portable which this would apply to.. then ya wait.

    Penryn based MBP are what's next.. I'm thinking around March for those.. it's just a guess!! ;)
     
  18. Nakamura macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2007
    Location:
    Oxfordshire, England
    #18
    Even if you did have the choice of a SSD hardrive, the 64GB one costs over £300, I dought that harry0 will pay that for a hardrive.
     
  19. harry0 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2007
    Location:
    Australia
    #19
    whats the chances of having revised macbook pro's by february 08?
     
  20. Smurfed macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2007
    #20
    64GB is what's commonly beign used at the moment in notebooks.

    The largest SSD Drive is currently 160GB
    With the price tag of $80-$115 per Gigabyte.
     
  21. jnc macrumors 68020

    jnc

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2007
    Location:
    Nunya, Business TX
    #21
    Darn high! What else are they going to fill the MWSF keynote with? Here's a rumour roundup...

    Mac Pro
    Cinema Displays with HDMI and Component
    iTunes HD / Rentals / Both
    :apple:tv meets Mac Mini?
    ....MacBook Pro.

    Mac Pro / MBP seem like the dead certs.
     
  22. Rokusaburo macrumors member

    Rokusaburo

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2006
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #22
    It seems that everybody who's expecting a MBP update is expecting it at Macworld San Francisco in January.

    What are the chances of an update after Macworld, say in February?
     

Share This Page