Is now a good time to buy a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ducky21, Jun 26, 2008.

  1. Ducky21 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2008
    #1
    Hey everyone, been reading the site for a while, and forums for a tad less than that, finally decided to take the plunge and post.

    Anyway, I need a new computer, and I figured a laptop would be great for school, and a Mac laptop even better. (This will be my first Mac.) I think I want to get a base MBP since I'd like to do some light gaming on it, and the boost of an offboard graphics card is worth the price.

    To my point, however, I've been reading a lot of rumors about a summer update, and have yet to see anything. I'd like a human opinion rather than the vague machine generated guide. I'd especially like to get the new keyboard.

    Sorry if this is already posted, couldn't find a recent thread.
     
  2. wnxgenral macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 14, 2008
    #2
    I just purchased my MAC for school... I suggest if your like me and moving from an 100% windows environment that you go ahead and purchase it now and get aquainted with OSX... The seller post for me was the fact that even if they do update the MBP its not like its going to blow the current one outta the water, plus if you post on this forum your a computer enthusiast and you update your comp in 2 years not 4... at least I do!
     
  3. keehun macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2008
    #3
    That is quite certainly true in most parts. However, like my white iMac 20" 2.16GHz blows water on the aluminum IMHO (I hate glossy, Aluminum heats way too much, the early graphics problems, etc), soI am more happy to buy the pre-update than the updated version. However, there are some rumors that MBP will inherit MBA keyboards, perhaps updated graphics or updated screens. However, I don't like MBA Keyboard so if I were you, I'd buy it now. "Summer update" will be closer to very late august, or early september if it ever happens.

    keehun
     
  4. duncanm macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2008
    #4
    Are you having a laugh?
     
  5. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2007
    #5
    The MBP is way overdue for a design change. As soon as Apple gets this iphone 3G craziness out of the way you'll see something new. By September at the latest.
     
  6. Ducky21 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2008
    #6
    I doubt they'd change the aluminum, so that's not a factor to me, neither is the glossy or the MBA keyboard, since I was messing around with my friend's and I really liked the look of the screen and the feel of the keyboard..

    I didn't look too far back, but... no.

    Thanks for all your help everyone! I don't NEED it now, sure I'd like it and it'd be nice, but my PC is still running (at the moment, anyway) but if what you say is even vaguely true, maybe I should wait till mid August, and re evaluate the situation then?
     
  7. noodle654 macrumors 68020

    noodle654

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2005
    Location:
    Never Ender
  8. GUILTIE macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2008
    #8
    I'm in the same situation - my PC is running fine but I'd really like the Macbook Pro now! I'm gonna try to wait as long as I can in case of an update, although I really wanted to use the MBP over the course of the summer to get used to it and enjoy it!

    And here's my analysis from the forums:
    - The new update won't blow the current ones out of the water, but the current ones DO have some problems (screen striping, lid alignment, headphone jack buzzing and beeping, etc. I suggest you research these before you buy if you haven't already.) Hopefully the update will fix this annoying glitches. Considering its a frickin $2000+ laptop these shouldn't be happening anyways, but that's a different story.
    - Apple is apparently also known for defects/glitches with their first generation of products, and considering this will probably be a major update (new case), the possibilities of them screwing up are endless. So basically we could both be waiting till the update is released only to find they're worse then the current ones.
     
  9. bebetc macrumors member

    bebetc

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2008
    Location:
    Boca Raton, FL
  10. larval macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2008
    #11
    You've just described my thoughts exactly :) I'm also in the same boat and I'm waiting, but not sure if I should for these reasons.

    I guess you could argue it's best to wait and if the new ones seem to introduce more problems than they solve, go for the older (now current) model then. But since I'll be getting it from Apple with the HE discount, not sure if that'll be an option for me.

    Decisions, decisions... :D
     
  11. GUILTIE macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2008
    #12
    I wish Apple would just announce what their plans were so we could decide what to do! I guess they want people to buy the current ones and not wait for the new ones, but either way their getting my money, so just tell meee! :confused:
     
  12. sbf74 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2008
    #13
    I jumped and bought the latest version when it appeared recently on the Refurbished list..... LOVE IT!!

    If you're worried about updating and think you might like the Nehalem MBP in early-mid 2009 then why not buy a "Refurb", save a bit of cash, enjoy the machine now, and then sell when the new machine comes out?
     
  13. GUILTIE macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2008
    #14
    Because I'd lose money lol. I wish I had enough to buy both :rolleyes:
     
  14. MPHL macrumors regular

    MPHL

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2008
    #15
    Anyone from now on that posts this question does not deserve to have a MBP. This has got to be the 100000000000th post of "OMG OMG SHOULD I BUY!?". The answer is always the same, of course right now is a great time to buy as is every other day of the year.
     
  15. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #16
    As I have said for every thread; buy it now if you NEED it; wait for a "refresh" if you just WANT a new computer.
     
  16. lordthistle macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 29, 2008
    Location:
    Italy
    #17
    ** Listen to GUILTIE **
    He's right on everything.

    I bought one in the current generation because I did NOT want the redesigned version and I ended up receiving a defective unit. I haven't used it for weeks... always in the repair centre.

    If I could go back I'd rather buy a MB: they are quite right and, if you don't use 3D stuff, the performance is exactly the same as in the base MBP. Mac drivers for nVidia are quite lousy: even the scrolling is better on a MB.

    thistle
     

Share This Page