iPad Is now a good time to buy a refurb 4th Generation?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by L T, Oct 25, 2013.

1. L T, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

L T macrumors 6502

L T

I was planning to go buy a 5th gen, but there are a few reasons I'd prefer to stick to the old design. I love the old aluminium back and black front from the first 4 generations. Plus I also prefer the older metal hinge smart covers, which I have a few of. And no chamfered edge, that thing was just annoying to keep it looking good on my mini and its scuff on my iPhone 5!

I was wondering if now is a good time to buy a refurb iPad 4 or will the price drop even more when the iPad air comes out?

2. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Prices have already dropped ever since the Apple Keynote. I was looking primarily at the 128GB LTE models and it went from $789 to $729. Wasn't really paying much attention to the other models. I don't think we'll be seeing additional price drops in the near future so if you're in the market for an iPad 4, I think it's a good time to buy.

3. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I disagree. I have a feeling that once the air model starts really rolling out that there will be more trade ins, returns, all that stuff. Granted, a lot of those units will be refurbished and the OP May not want a refurb but if there are a lot of refurbs then prices on new ones will come down too.

That being said, it is a good time to buy, I suppose. But, waiting a month might save you another fifty bucks or so.

4. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

If you have a Microcenter near you they always drop the prices of the old model once the new ones are in stock, if you are extra lucky you can find an open box and have even more!

5. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

OP already said he was looking at refurbs. I tend to watch pricing on Apple certified refurbished products every time a new product is released and one thing I've noticed is after the initial steep drop after a product announcement, you usually don't see further price drops until a few months later.

I reckon CowBoom, ebay, CL, etc prices will drop but pricing on Apple Store refurbs tend to be pretty stable.

6. L T thread starter macrumors 6502

L T

I'm fine with a refurb, I'm just thinking that for the cost of an iPad air I can get a refurb 4th gen and AppleCare + and have money to spare.

Plus I'd end up with the design I prefer!

7. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

i would agree w/rui no onna...prices on refurbs from Apple are pretty consistent, little to no change going forward for the next several months.

of course, there's no harm with waiting...we all know that prices on the ipad4 aren't going to go up.

8. MLAM macrumors regular

Have a look at Tesco Direct as they have £40 off at least on iPad 4's and some discount codes available

TDX-KW3Q for £30 off tablets over £300

TDX-CP4D for £20 off tablets over £200